Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i have old imac 1gb duo core and need to upgrade memory...

if i choose to go to lion and the cloud. is there a way for me to do so without having to lug my imac 30 miles to the nearest mac store? i upgraded memory in my even more ancient 1st generation imac myself...but there were instructions. don't think there are any for this imac and have not tried to excavate manual from where it seems to be buried. would appreciate whatever input i can get before my mobile me cut-off date. not sure if it is worth it yet, considering lion discussions so far and the fact of losing my equally ancient photoshop if i do.

iMac (20-inch Late 2006), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 4:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 4:23 PM

It that's a core duo as opposed to a core 2 duo (and I beleive it is) it won't run Lion anyway. See Upgrade to Lion

6 replies

Mar 21, 2012 4:28 PM in response to tejana

ifixit.com is a site with manuals to perform most repair tasks about Macs ... even those that are not tecnincally "user access" (useful when your Mac is out of warranty and feel the risk of self-repair is worth it).

Check out the site and you should find pictures/words to show you the process.

This does not override the fact that you need Core2Dou (which is not CoreDuo) to run Lion.

Go to Apple menu, About This Mac ... it will tell you if it is Core 2 Duo" ... unless you have already checked there.

Mar 21, 2012 6:11 PM in response to tejana

Here is how you upgrade iMac memory: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3011

See Franks link above about upgrading to Lion, or note the specs required here:

• Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
  • 2GB of memory
  • OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)

A late 2006 iMac should be a Core 2 Duo, however, confirm that before marching towards Lion. Also, some have found that Lion with 2GB doesn't provide very good performance, which is fixed by going to 4GB.

i have old imac 1gb duo core and need to upgrade memory...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.