Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Invisible desktop icons, name still visible

After upgrading to Lion (10.7.3), after thorough software updates, repairing permissions several times, logging in and out, and generally using it on a regular basis for a few days, I still occasionally get some invisible desktop icons. This never happened before in Snow Leopard on back. I keep about 20 items on my desktop — hard drives, aliases of folders, aliases of files, a few textedit files. When I login, sometimes everything is fine. But sometimes two or three icons would be invisible. Their names would still be visible. It's not always the same icons. It's random and intermittent.

When invisible, I cannot select them by direct clicking, but only by surrounding it with a marquee selection (dragging a box around them). I can change their name.

Is this a known bug? Any fix?

Mac OS X (10.7.3), + 24" HD display

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 5:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 8:27 PM

You should be able to fix this by relaunching the Finder.

8 replies

Mar 21, 2012 9:26 PM in response to Ken2G5

Ken2G5 wrote:

Ahh yes of course.

So it's a known quirk in Lion? I've never had to force quit Finder so many times.

Something I see on a rare occasion, saw it in Snow Leopard as well. Usually rights itself pretty quickly and doesn't come to the fore again for quite some time. If you are seeing it too often you may need to trash your finder .plst

Pete

Mar 21, 2012 10:03 PM in response to Ken2G5

Ken2G5 wrote:

Trashing the "Finder .plst" sounds like a stronger fix. Remind me again where to look for that file?

Go up to top menu and optio click on Go. Choose Library and go to preferences. Then look for and move these two files to the trash

com.apple.finder.plist

com.apple.finder.plist.lockfile

They will be recreated on start up and if they were corrupt, you shouldn't see that behaviour any more. If you still do we'll know where to look next.

Pete

Mar 21, 2012 10:58 PM in response to Ken2G5

Ken2G5 wrote:

Apparently, it was some kind of custom Finder icon sizes or locations that got carried over from Snow Leopard and having trouble keepng up. Trashing those plist files (and restarting) did the trick. Now they've taken on nicer appearance! No doubt part of Lion.

Thank you for the suggestion. 🙂

Hope all stays well.

Happy Computing

Pete

Invisible desktop icons, name still visible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.