Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the fate of my @me.com email without iCloud?

My Apple ID is [name]@me.com. This is also my primary email address with Apple. I have decided not to transfer my MobileMe account to iCloud. I have a few questions:

1. Apple currently sends email to me via my @me.com email address (my primary email). Will they continue to send to this address if I do not sign up for iCloud (and after MobileMe goes down)?

2. If not, does it matter that my Apple ID is a former email address? ([name]@.me.com seems like an odd user ID to have if it isn't an active email address).

3. When MobileMe goes down (and I have not moved to iCloud), what will become of my @me.com emails? Will they be deleted off my computer when they are gone from Me.com? If so, can I archive them so they don't disappear? All of my iTunes and AppStore receipts are in those emails, so I wouldn't want to lose them.

Note: I realize that I will have to change my primary email address with Apple if the answer to Question No. is no.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 6:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 7:04 PM

If you have not moved your current email address from Mobile Me to iCloud by 6/30/2012 you will lose it. 😐

5 replies

Mar 21, 2012 7:33 PM in response to Mr. Mellow

Mr. Mellow wrote:

Thank you very much. Do you have any thoughts on my 3rd question. My guess is that I will have to archive my @me.com emails prior to deleting my MobileMe account. I was wondering if this was necessary, though. In other words, are hard copies already on my hard drive?

I am not sure, you should be left with a local copy but prudence suggests that you archive them before the cut off date.

Mar 22, 2012 1:11 AM in response to Mr. Mellow

Mr. Mellow wrote:

Thank you very much. Do you have any thoughts on my 3rd question. My guess is that I will have to archive my @me.com emails prior to deleting my MobileMe account. I was wondering if this was necessary, though. In other words, are hard copies already on my hard drive?

Emails are on your hard drive only if you have downloaded them yourself. When you migrate all your emails will be transferred to the iCloud email server (in fact I think it's exactly the same server but the access settings are different).

Lion 10.7.2 is required for Mail to be set up automatically for iCloud email. If you have an older system you can set Mail up manually:

Entering iCloud email settings manually in Snow Leopard or Leopard

Entering iCloud email settings manually in Tiger

What is the fate of my @me.com email without iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.