Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Possible to play sound files without launching app? A la System 7

If any of you recall, in System 7, you could double-click a sound file and it would just play without launching an app. The OS itself was capable of playing sounds, like system sounds or even music files (you could also use QuickTime). This was pre-iTunes.

I miss those days. The other day, I was trying out some sound effects, and double-clicking them launched the behemoth bloatware app, iTunes. Of course, I could pick another app, but I would prefer no app at all, i.e., system-level, ready-to-eat sounds; just click and it plays.

Does anyone know of a system-level plug-in or background app that works in this way? An analogous system function would be clippings. Double-click one of those and it just pops up; no app launches. This is how System 7 worked, and I sorely miss it. I use sampled sounds a lot, and I just want to click on them to quickly hear what they sound like in that same simple way we once could.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 8:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 8:55 PM

Select it in the Finder, choose Get Info from the File menu, and start playing it in the Preview section.

(64998)

4 replies

Mar 22, 2012 2:27 PM in response to Mr. Mellow

Holly smokes, I've never noticed that before. I wish I could give all of you the problem-solved credit, but X423424X got to the "just click" solution first (without launching an app or opening a window). But the Get-info, and especially the spacebar solutions... thank you!

I'm still living in a Tiger world (straight from System 7), where I lived without this for 5 years, and thought it was gone forever. If someone tells me I could have done this in Tiger, also, I'm going to jump off a bridge! LOL, kidding.

Possible to play sound files without launching app? A la System 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.