Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac not booting after changing the permissions

I have changed the Everyone permissions to "no access" in MacintoshHD, when I restarted I can see only the white screen. The OS is not booting. I tried using the Disk Utility from the DVD, but no changes, it is still the same. Can anyone tell me how to resolve this error ?? please I need to get the datas from my iMAC somehow.

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 8:22 PM

5 replies

Mar 22, 2012 5:20 AM in response to rleo2joseph

Boot into single user mode, CMD-s at the startup chime, and enter these commands

-type mount -uw / and press return

-type chmod 775 /Volumes/"Macintosh HD" and press return

- type reboot and press return

Note: if that's not the name of your drive because you've changed it, then put the current name in, inside quotes.

Sep 28, 2012 12:43 PM in response to WZZZ

After scratching and beating my head for soo many days trying to recover my imac I finally managed to get it to boot up thanks to the suggestions on this forum.

For the benefit of others who might have made this silly mistake of changing the everyones permission to read only and then not being able to boot up their mac, this is what finally worked

I used a usb install disk (as my superdrive is not in great condition and doesnt always read the discs i put in) and started the terminal.

As suggested by WZZZ NYC above and calderone macrumers 68040 on

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=859556&page=2 , I entered these commands

1. Boot to your OS X Install DVD.

2. Select "Terminal" from the Utilities menu.

3. Assuming you only changed permissions and not ownership, and that the volume you have OS X installed on is Macintosh HD type the following:

Code:

chmod 775 /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD

and then

Code:

chmod +t /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD

4. Quit Terminal
5. Quit the Installer
6. It will should ask you if you want to restart or select a Startup Disk, select the Startup Disk option
7. Choose your Macintosh HD
8. Click Restart
9. Confirm the Restart when it asks

It should work. If your OS X volume is not named Macintosh HD, replace it with the name of yours. Be sure to escape the spaces as shown in the example, if you aren't sure of the name type.

Thank you for all the good advise. I finally have not just my imac running, but because of the repair disk permissions that i had to perform, it is running blazingly fast as well....

Thank you again

iMac not booting after changing the permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.