Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to recover lost photos in iPhoto?

Greetings. I am having some problems with iPhoto and hope someone may have an idea of how to resolve. When I tried to open iPhoto, I received the following pop-up message:

"You can't open your current photo library using this version of iPhoto. You have made changes to your photo library using a newer version of iPhoto. Please quit and use the latest version of iPhoto."

When I go into the latest version of iPhoto, I see my latest download from the other day and all of my other pictures from inception through 2009. None of my photos from 2010, 2011 and earlier this year are in there.

Any idea what might be going on and how I might resolve?

Many thanks for your help!

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.3), PC (business)

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 4:22 AM

3 replies

Nov 18, 2017 5:17 PM in response to Yer_Man

OMG I've had the same issue and while I could see the two older iPhoto files, I was unable to open them, thinking I'd lost over 3 years of memories, but thanks to your advice I've just managed to restore them all and I am currently backing up my system so that I won't lose them again... Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you, you have given me tears of joy 😀

Mar 22, 2012 4:54 AM in response to Rainmaker1

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Rebuild iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one. .

Regards

TD

How to recover lost photos in iPhoto?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.