Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2011 overheats when anything is plugged into DisplayPort/Thunderbolt

Just wondering if anyone has noticed this -

I have an early 2011 MacBookPro 17" running Lion (OSX 10.7.3)

Anytime I plug *anything* into the Thunderbolt port, the temperature jumps up by 15C-20C.

To be specific, if I plug a "DisplayPort->HDMI adpater" in even if it's not connected to an actual display the temparature increases.

SMC reset and EFI updates don't seem to help resolve the problem.

some users have reported that "InsomniaT" is sometimes the cause of the problem, however I don't have this sofware installed.

other posts suggest that the logic board needs to be replaced, which seems rather severe.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 🙂

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), Early 2011 17"

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 6:23 AM

9 replies

Mar 22, 2012 6:58 AM in response to Shootist007

This happens even when no other apps (other than the routine/background processes) are running

- iStat shows the temps as :35-39c (no apps running) then jumps to 50-60c when the adapter is plugged in.

Again, this adapter is not actually connected to anything, just the presence of the plug in the Display/Thunderbolt Port triggers this temperature increase.

This problem has been present since i bought the machine last year .

I did replace the termal paste in this machine a few weeks back - you may be aware that there have been discussions that excessive amounts of factory applied themal paste were causing inefficent heat disspation.

I opened my MBP up and sure enough, there was paste all over the CPU & GPU chips.

After reapplying the paste correctly, the temps dropped a solid 7c -

but the temp rise when the DisplayPort is used remains the same, it was roughly 15-20c both before and after the thermal paste cleanup.

Mar 22, 2012 7:07 AM in response to tigga999

Well I have a 15" 2011 model and will connect my Apple DVI adapter and see what happens.

But in all honesty I would of taken the system in for a check and or returned it for refund when I first noticed this.

Could also be some type of short in the adapter.

OK it has been a few minutes since I connected the DVI adapter and my temps are exactly the same with or without the adapter connected.

So I would suspect a short in either the adapter or the port on your MBP.

Mar 22, 2012 7:21 AM in response to Shootist007

I've tried it with two different adapters, DP->HDMI and DP->VGA with the same temp increase results.

Your tests suggest the problem is with my MPB so I'll take it in for a check.

Other users have reported temp increases when connected to external displays/devices,

but this confirms that the problem is most likely the reported logic board fault.

Sincere thanks for your help in figuring this out 🙂

Cheers!

MacBook Pro 2011 overheats when anything is plugged into DisplayPort/Thunderbolt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.