Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps Greyed out for iphone in itunes

I've read everything I can find on greyed out apps and can't find a solution. I've re-installed itunes 3 times, I have restrictions turned off on my iphone, I've transfered purchased apps from my iphone to iTunes synced my iphone many times. Still with iphone plugged into itunes and apps checked I can't access any of my apps. The top half of the app screen is greyed out. I can access my files sharing apps on bottom half of screen. Help please.

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 8:09 AM

24 replies

Mar 22, 2012 2:58 PM in response to randers4

If they are greyed out then that means they aren't being found and the source is missing. It's not like you have any good ideas. Also, I highly suspect that the OP isn't telling us everything or hasn't actually gone through all the steps.

OP, when you uninstalled iTunes did you remove all of the components as well? There are 6 total. Also, is your computer authorized? Do you get any kind of error messages when trying to sync? After you select "sync apps" do you actually hit "apply" and then sync?

Mar 22, 2012 3:07 PM in response to randers4

Grey means he can't edit it or make changes to it usually because the source can't be found or the feature/option isn't allowed. The OP is leaving out something important. You can't just transfer purchases from iphone to computer and then not be able to sync them back. The OP may even have parental restrictions set for Apps within iTunes. This can be checked from Edit>Preferences>Parental.

OP, what happens if you right-click on one of the apps and select "get info?" What's the account name and the Apple ID that was used to purchase the apps? Is iTunes up to date? Are the apps even compatible with iphones?

Mar 23, 2012 7:20 AM in response to docrowdy

Thaks to all for the great suggestions, nothing has worked yet. Summary of all the suggestions:

logged in and out on iphone; went to purchase and re-downloaded all; did not un-install 6 components, just went to itunes and clicked on latestest update and when asked to un-install clicked on uninstall; computer is authorized; no error messages while working in itunes; did not click apply when syncing since counldn't make changes no apply appeared; no parental restrictions; all downloaded apps from itunes were listed as compatible, all apps found on pc in< itunes, itunes media, mobile applications>. Thanks for your help, but nothing yet.

Jun 14, 2012 11:30 AM in response to docrowdy

Here is the solution, Go to your iphone>Settings>General>Look for "RESITRICTIONS". You might have to scroll down. Once you find it, click it then (scroll down) look for "Installing Apps". If that is OFF, turn it ON. Press the home button. Connect your Iphone with Itunes then go to apps. And After 5 seconds it will be able to let you tick or untick the apps you want to sync!

Apps Greyed out for iphone in itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.