Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Do I Find and Edit My Hosts File?

Hi,

I'm transferring my Wordpress website from one hosting service to another. I've been instructed by the new one that I have to edit the MyHost local file non my Mac. Here's the link I was sent:

https://support.blacknight.ie/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticl eid=169

I'd appreciate if someone would tell me how to find it and modify it, please?

Many thanks,

F.

Mac Book Pro 3.1, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 10:15 AM

From the Finder's Go menu select Go to Folder. Enter /private/etc/ in the field and click on the Go button. If a hosts file is present you will see it listed and can edit it per your instructions. If one is not present then use any editor to create a file and save it as hosts with no extension.

You can use TextEdit to edit or create the file. You can also edit it using the Terminal application in the Utilities folder by entering the command, pico, at the prompt and pressing RETURN. Pico is a simple editor but will do the job. If you find it gives an error then try, sudo pico, instead. You will be prompted for your admin password that is not echoed to the screen.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2012 10:15 AM in response to Flashe3

From the Finder's Go menu select Go to Folder. Enter /private/etc/ in the field and click on the Go button. If a hosts file is present you will see it listed and can edit it per your instructions. If one is not present then use any editor to create a file and save it as hosts with no extension.

You can use TextEdit to edit or create the file. You can also edit it using the Terminal application in the Utilities folder by entering the command, pico, at the prompt and pressing RETURN. Pico is a simple editor but will do the job. If you find it gives an error then try, sudo pico, instead. You will be prompted for your admin password that is not echoed to the screen.

How Do I Find and Edit My Hosts File?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.