Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV3 optical out

Never encountered this before, but I cannot get dolby digital out over optical unless I set the option to On not Auto, and if I do that I get no sound on the TV over HDMI because it's presumably no longer being sent the stereo linear PCM.

It seems setting DD to On forces it to output that over HDMI even if TV doesn't accept it, whereas Auto selects what the HDMI device can handle i.e. stereo only in this case for the TV.

This never used to happen on ATV1 or 2 for me.

Anyone else?

AC

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 2:53 PM

Yes, I too have to set DD to "on" to get DD over optical to my receiver.

15 replies

Mar 25, 2012 12:07 PM in response to micj

I think what currently happens is this:

AppleTV 'talks' to the HDMI device and ascertains what it can support. Most TVs will not be able to decode Dolby Digital over HDMI. Receivers/amps with DD capability will.

So when the TV is connected via HDMI, and DD is set to off or Auto the TV gets the stereo feed (Auto selecting stereo as TV can't handle DD), and this is output over opticl too.

If however DD is set to On this forces DD through HDMI but the TV doesn't know what to do with it. Optical has DD so I get surround via processor, but TV is silent as it can't.

So in my situation I can either have it set for stereo audio over HDMI (Off or Auto) and optical, or DD over both (DD set to On.

Clearly I want the stereo track to go to the TV over HDMI and DD over optical (falling back to stereo if no DD track) so I don't have to fiddle in Settings each time I choose to listen through TV vs surround system.

Mar 25, 2012 12:22 PM in response to micj

micj wrote:

Yes, I too have to set DD to "on" to get DD over optical to my receiver.

I think what is porbably needed is to be able to configure output separately over HDMI and optical, along the lines of:

Optical Out options - Linear PCM Always / DD if available else default to linear PCM stereo

HDMI audio - Auto/Stereo Only/DD if available/maybe Off

...or thereabouts.

The issue is different devices have different capabilities, I think the optical out is passive so can't work out what a connected device handles, whereas HDMI isn't and can get a list of supported audio/video modes from the amp or display.

I think current software is defaulting to output over optical and HDMI whatever HDMI can support.

AC

Mar 25, 2012 12:35 PM in response to Alley_Cat

I only have one Apple TV 3. It's currently connected to the television in the kitchen which doesn't have a home theatre system to accompany it. However when I first received the Apple TV, I connected it to the TV in the front rooom which does have a home theatre system.

When it was connected up in the front room, it was connected by HDMI to the TV and optical to the theatre system. I have to assume that Dolby digital was set to on, because when I tested, the receiver told me it was receiving Dolby digital. I never noticed that audio came from the TV or not, as my TV speakers are permanently turned off.
I note though, when I played music from the Apple TV, I was not forced to adjust any settings in order to hear it through my home theatre system. I assume therefore that Apple TV automatically switches when Dolby Digital is not present, perhaps you can confirm this.

Mar 26, 2012 12:55 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill wrote:

I note though, when I played music from the Apple TV, I was not forced to adjust any settings in order to hear it through my home theatre system. I assume therefore that Apple TV automatically switches when Dolby Digital is not present, perhaps you can confirm this.

That's what they've always done for me - Dolby Digital over optical when there's a DD track, otherwise you get the stereo track sent as a linear PCM optical bitstream.

The current issue with things set to Auto is I believe a side effect of determining the capability of the device connected via HDMI and using that to determine the optical signal too.

If I was connected to an amp via HDMI I'd have no need for optical, but mine is pre HDMI and used for audio only.

AC

Mar 26, 2012 1:02 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Winston, if you connect teh ATV3 up to the Home Cinema amp again, I wonder if you could see what stereo audio is being output at.

ATV2 supposedly output all decodes audio at 48 kHz 16 bit, and some of us fussy audiophiles didn't really like this as it was upsampling CD rates by a non-integer factor meaning most samples would be interpolated and non-original.

In addition, as we can buy certain artists higher than CD quality lossless audio (eg from Linn), it would be a great benefit if AppleTV could output such audio streams without downsampling/reducing bit depth - I suspect it would be capable and would be a real bonus feature as such tracks can be added to iTunes using Apple Lossless.

AC

Mar 26, 2012 1:15 PM in response to Winston Churchill

I don't.

I turn the volume down on TV when using the surround setup for movies or playing music.

If however I'm watching something where the TV's speakers will suffice (old TV shows, kids cartoons), or everyone else is in bed and the surround setup would be too loud, I turn the surround system off and use the TVs speakers.

AC

....and of course using TV volume control on remote or surround remote to turn off the Yamaha DSP, is much quicker than navigating the Settings menus to toggle the option in AppleTV menus, and something other people can understand too.

Mar 28, 2012 12:34 PM in response to jaimebaker

The problem is that if I set DD to On, then I get DD on optical to the amp, however I think this forces DD over HDMI (TV connection) as I get no audio from the TV when I play a movie.

iTunes moviues tend to have 2 tracks - stereo (which may be DPL encoded) and DD.

Sometimes I'll want audio from the amp, sometimes form TV, but if DD is on I get no audio from TV.

I do not want to go fiddling with menu settings, we need independent manually configurable audio outputs for HDMI and optical. In essence this would be if DD track available output it over optical in preference to stereo. Let HDMI have the audio it can handle automatically.

So for example:

Movies has stereo/DD tracks - output stereo over HDMI to TV, DD over optical to TV.

Movie has stereo only or is music/other audio - output stereo over HDMI and stereo over optical.

In this way whether or not I'm listening to the TV speakers or the surround system I'll get audio on both without changing settings.

AC

Mar 28, 2012 12:35 PM in response to jaimebaker

jaimebaker wrote:

alleycat

I have tried following your tech logic.... but simple answer. SET reciever to Dolby Digital ON position and it should take care of it.

If i am running optical to the receiver from the apple tv & running WHAT to the tv from the reciever?? Is there such thing as optical OUT to the tv or will the HDMI cable currently in place enough.

Not quite sure how you're connected.

I've got HDMI to TV, optical to amp (which doesn;t have HDMI) but handles DD/DTS/PCM etc.

AC

May 20, 2012 6:03 AM in response to Alley_Cat

This truly is Apple letting down ATV users. I had this issue with my G1 ATV, and bought G3 to overcome some streaming issues. The streaming issues have been sorted, but this problem is ludicrous - the issues have been known by Apple for some time, and I received a response after 3 complaints that it was being worked on - but no solution. I simply want to play my music through my Home Cinema set-up without having to hav the tv on - is this too technical a problem for the guys at Apple to solve, or is it simly seen as unimportant?

Customer Satisfaction surveys give Apple regular top of the class ratings - I wish they'd ask me...

Completely and utterly let down by Apple.

Jun 5, 2014 12:14 PM in response to Alley_Cat

This is very annoying since i have exact same setup as Alley_cat.

I would prefer that my wife wouldn't have to do nothing but turn on the apple tv and tv and have (stereo) sound.

And i could do the same but put tv to mute and power my avr receiver and it's power amps and enjoy DD.

Why can't hdmi sniff whatever the tv/avr support and output that through hdmi audio. The menu option would control the optical out.

And i thought Apple was about ease of use... ;)

AppleTV3 optical out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.