Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot see my MacBookPro/Lion on my 1080 42" HDMI TV. I am using the Miniport connected in Thunderbolt port. Also I have only one Display listed on Prefferences. Any thoughts?

I cannot see my MacBookPro/Lion on my 1080 42" HDMI TV. I am using the Miniport connected in Thunderbolt port. Also I have only one Display listed on Prefferences. Any thoughts?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 2:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 10:25 PM

I assume you are using a mini-displayport/thunderbolt to HDMI adapter.

Did you set the TV to take its input from the HDMI connection?

Since you don't see the Arrangment tab in your Displays preferences there's probably something physically wrong with your connections. Try clicking detect displays just to see if the computer can now sense the presence of the connection. Check your cables and make sure the mini-displayport plug is pushed firmly in. Mini-displayport plugs can be a little tricky in that you need to make sure the plug is fully seated in their socket.

Once you have an Arrangement tab, and it shows two screens, then click Gather Windows to bring the TV's Displays preferences on to your main screen if the TV is not yet showing an image. Set the proper resolution (probably 720p, 1080i, or 1080p). Set the refresh rate (probably 60Hz) if that preference is shown. You should see a picture at this point. I recommend turning off mirrored displays if it is enabled.

You may have to play with the underscan/overscan settings on your TV and the displays prefs for the TV if the picture is too small or larger for the TV screen.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2012 10:25 PM in response to orbisterra

I assume you are using a mini-displayport/thunderbolt to HDMI adapter.

Did you set the TV to take its input from the HDMI connection?

Since you don't see the Arrangment tab in your Displays preferences there's probably something physically wrong with your connections. Try clicking detect displays just to see if the computer can now sense the presence of the connection. Check your cables and make sure the mini-displayport plug is pushed firmly in. Mini-displayport plugs can be a little tricky in that you need to make sure the plug is fully seated in their socket.

Once you have an Arrangement tab, and it shows two screens, then click Gather Windows to bring the TV's Displays preferences on to your main screen if the TV is not yet showing an image. Set the proper resolution (probably 720p, 1080i, or 1080p). Set the refresh rate (probably 60Hz) if that preference is shown. You should see a picture at this point. I recommend turning off mirrored displays if it is enabled.

You may have to play with the underscan/overscan settings on your TV and the displays prefs for the TV if the picture is too small or larger for the TV screen.

Mar 23, 2012 7:59 AM in response to X423424X

Thank yoy for prompt reply.

Yes I did "detect disply" and did not show two. So the Mac does not dedtected2 displays.

I sense (screen blinking) that the computer and TV are trying to communicate. I have on TV displayed, when connected to the right HDMI chanel, the picture characteristic to the computer display whenever I gogle "thinderbolt port" a kind of a Milky Way of some kind. That is showed nice. I also see a couple of inches of the ccorect Mac Book screen on the left side of the TV screen. I interpret this as the overlapping display issue.

I keep on asking. I do not want to believe that the Thunderbolt port is bad.

By the way, I bought another Miniport $25 in our stores here) with rthe same results.

Thank you again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.