Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't import .m4r file into iTunes 10.0.6.40

Hi. I have a new iPhone 4S with AT&T (first iPhone ever!) and I'd like to create a custom ringtone. I have an .m4r file that is 29 sec long. I'd like to use it as my ringtone. Should be easy enough, right? I've tried dragging and dropping my file into iTunes, and also tried importing it through the menu, but it won't import. I can double click on it and play it in iTunes, but it doesn't import it into the library. Also, I have no RingTones folder. Do I need to create one somehow, and how would that work?

Thanks!

iPhone 4S, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 4:06 PM

7 replies

Aug 16, 2017 11:54 AM in response to Karefreelife

Create a ringtone in iTunes

1. Select a track to use as the source. You cannot use an Apple Music item, or anything that is in the cloud.
  2. On the Get Info > Options tab set start and stop times less than 40 seconds apart.
  3. Under Edit (Win) or iTunes (Mac) > Preferences > General tab > Import Settings choose AAC Encoder > High Quality 128k.
  4. Use File > Convert > Create AAC version.
  5. Reset the start and stop times on the original track.
  6. Right-click on the new copy and click Show in Windows Explorer or Finder.
  7. Delete the new entry from the library without sending to the recycle bin/trash.
  8. Change the file extension from .m4a to .m4r. (You may need to adjust folder options to see the extensions)
  9. Move the file into the Automatically Add to iTunes folder inside your media folder, it will be added to the Tones section of the library.
  10. If you don't see Tones in the drop down media selection menu click Edit Menu at the bottom and add it.
  11. Connect the device, select its icon next to the media selection menu, then the device's Tones tab, and set the sync options.
  12. Sync the device.

tt2

May 20, 2015 9:42 PM in response to 9patch

My problem was not solved by reading this thread. I managed to figure it out pretty quickly though. 😎

I discovered that if you have an existing music file (mp3 / aac / aiff) in your iTunes music library which matches your m4r file; it will not populate in your tones library when you drag and drop it.

Go to your iTunes music library, search for the matching file and delete it. Then, go to your tones library, drag and drop your m4r to your tones from elsewhere on your computer, and enjoy!

Can't import .m4r file into iTunes 10.0.6.40

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.