Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Popup keeps asking for my Yahoo password, looks sketchy

Hi, I'm new to these forums, so please be patient. I keep getting a popup box that asks me for my Yahoo password. It doesn't look anything like the Apple Mail reminders (the ones that make my Mail icon bounce up and down), so I haven't filled it in. I have also changed my Yahoo password just in case that account was hacked, but the popup keeps showing up. All of the answers I've seen in the forums and elsewhere on line are fairly confusing. This seems like some sort of virus, but no one seems to believe that Macs can get viruses.

Here's a screen shot:

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 8:28 PM

14 replies

Mar 22, 2012 9:34 PM in response to doenen

Excellent question -- another issue for Apple. When I submitted the post I got another popup that said the service is unavailable. It's a popup box with a lock that has the supposed "yahoo" logo (the purple Y) and prompts to enter a password. There are two buttons, one says "cancel" and one says "OK" and clicking either removes the box, whether or not you type something.

I'm scheduled for an Apple support call on this now but if you can offer any insights I'd be grateful. I have always had popups disabled in Safari, have not opened any strange Yahoo mail, have my reading panel set so messages do not open automatically and have now increased the firewall security on my modem. I have also emptied the browser cache.

Mar 23, 2012 6:41 AM in response to Jmanganis

While I wish I had an answer, I don't. But, I do have the exact same issue and I believe it is some type of incompatibility issue with Yahoo and Apple software that occurred after the most recent update. I didn't have the issue until about a week ago. I have reported it to Apple and also, after looking at these boards, I see that there are a bunch of people with the same complaint!

Sorry - wish I had a solution, but I write to let you know you're not alone.

Apr 5, 2012 5:46 AM in response to Jmanganis

I have been having this same issue since my most recent upgrade to Lion. I contacted Apple Care, but they stated it would cost me $49.99 to have this issue resolved since my Apple Care warranty has expired. Great technical support since I never had to use my Apple Care warranty until now and it has expired. I have a Macbook Pro and have been trying to work thru this issue. I have re-installed my yahoo/att e-mail account and have had no success. Basically what I have to do is just shut the lid on the program and wait. When I open it back up after some time it is working like normal. Then after a few days is goes back to asking me for my password. I have not found any other fix to the problem. I have tried the setting changes as mentioned in other threads, but my settings were already correct. It seems like this is a big issue and I am hoping Apple will resolve in their next update. I would go to the Apple Store by my house, but not sure they will help me since my warranty is expired.

Apr 5, 2012 6:03 AM in response to Jmanganis

I did go for a "Genius Bar" appointment, and while there were a couple of other issues that they managed to 'fix', they didn't really want to deal with this mail situation. So, I have spent HOURS researching this because, I am ashamed to say, I have become completely dependent onmy email and my internet, so I needed to fix this.

While I don't have a permanent fix, here's what I know:

Apple tells me it's an ATT issue;

ATT tells me it's an Apple issue;

Yahoo tells me it's an ATT and Apple issue;

you get the picture...

I believe there is a software incompatibility between the most recent Apple upgrade in Safari and the combination ATT/Yahoo mail system, because it all began with the most recent Apple upgrade (APPLE ARE YOU LISTENING???)

Meanwhile, Yahoo's help page went down a few days ago, and when it came back up, acknowleged a problem, said its engineers are working on it, and provided a link to temporarily help us. If I log in to the link each time I begin a new sit-down with my Macbook Pro (after being away for a few hours) and then go into my mail and make sure it's online, I am able to access my mail normally. So, I now automatically log into this link and mail seems to work (they must have some clue about all this or they wouldn't be able to provide this link). SO here's the page in Yahoo help with the magic link. I hope this helps you guys!

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD_MAIL_ML&locale=en_US&id=SLN52 42&impressions=true

Apr 13, 2012 3:24 AM in response to sigtau88

I have literally spent hours on the phone with Apple support. Most advisors are clueless about this issue and keep giving standard advice. However an Apple adviser based in Ireland was very helpful and very resourceful. He tried every which way and we have ended up with using one Yahoo server for incoming and another for outgoing! It is a bit more stable but I still get asked for a password once or twice a day. Apples advice seems to be go to another email service provider and Yahoo seem to be very unhelpful. I am loath to change my email address and I still do not undertand why there are never any problems with mail on my iPad. Why is it just an iMac issue?

May 14, 2012 5:57 AM in response to Jmanganis

I'm having a very similar problem. It's on my iPad and the popup doesn't come with the purple yahoo symbol. Instead it looks like the app store popup for a password and it isn't even one of my user names that it says it needs a password for. But the popup is blue and says "password needed for yahoo account "coved"(or something like that)" with option to cancel or ok. No place to type. Very strange and it seems like we all are having similar issues that started around the same time (from the dates of your posts). I'm looking into it and will let you all know if I find an answer!

Nov 9, 2012 9:26 AM in response to Jmanganis

I have felt the pain of this for weeks. I found the file in question in finder by navigating from the main hard drive to System > Library > Privateframworks. there is a folder that starts with yahoo. I deleted it so I do not remember the exact name, but I only had the one yahoo folder. I dragged it over to the trash can and emptied the trash and have not seen the pop up since.

I figured this out by having the Activity Monitor open and running until the **** pop up came back. I could see it as an active running process. I highlighted it and hit inspect. there is a tab "open file and ports" to see the file pathway listed right there. I am not super tech savvy so it took me a few minutes to find where the System > Library > Privateframworks started but in my finder I have a section for devices on the left side of the window and opened it from there.

I also found an old black berry application that was sucking some %CPU that I thought I had uninstalled but still had a few active files hidden and running in the background this way.

I hope this helps

May 18, 2013 9:01 AM in response to Jmanganis

hi there - i had the same problems with messages app, the email worked fine, but the messages yahoo account kept popping up the password box and never signed on...

i fixed it like this:

open up your key access chain (spotlight search it)

for login passwords i basically deleted ALL yahoo keychains - except for the mail (since i had no problems with that)

then in messages i deleted the yahoo account

then i added it through messages

and voila, working 🙂

i hope this helps!

i think the issue was when configuring icloud on settings, adding yahoo through there somehow chokes up the messages account (i believe it's because yahoo recently integrated the messenger with their email web page...)

either way, i would suggest if you only have problems with the mail part, go into keychain access and delete the mail keys for yahoo and re-add yahoo on mail itself (not through icloud settings)

good luck! 🙂

Popup keeps asking for my Yahoo password, looks sketchy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.