Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I configure a dynamic dns at an airport extreme (7.6.1)?

I have a Airport Extreme and when I powered up it at first time and connect at the internet it asked me to update and I agree.... So, now I wanna configure a dynamic dns (like DynDNS or No-Ip) at the router and I can't find it!! I saw at the internet some people with older firmware and older airport utility doing it... How can I do it?

Best regards,

Rogerio B. Cuenca.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 7:54 PM

9 replies

Mar 22, 2012 9:29 PM in response to rbcuenca

Unfortunately you cannot use the older AirPort Admin Utility with the newer AirPort ... and the versions that you can use do not include an option to configure DDNS on the AirPort itself. If this feature is important to you, you basically have two choices: 1) Use a DDNS client on one of your computers, or 2) Get a router from another manufacturer that supports this option.

Mar 23, 2012 6:30 AM in response to Tesserax

Some other firends have older firmware that can do it. Can I downgrade mine to do it too? It's my home router and i use it to share my class presentations with my classes. I could acess with my macbook from another internet network using the IP address (sharing my folder through the internet), and when i'm not at home I have no one computer there...

It's lovely router... you can think about try back the DDNS configuration! ;-)

If you can help me with anoter solution...

Best regards,

Rogerio B. Cuenca.

May 1, 2012 6:51 AM in response to rbcuenca

I have been using DynDNS with Airport Extreme 7.6.1 and Airport Utility 5.6 for a week and strictly followed the instructions to configure it. Everything worked great and I like it.

A slight tweek:

I needed to create an A(WebHop) for mycustomdomain.com to point to the updated base-station.mycustomdomain.com. Basically base-station.mycustomdomain.com gets updated with my ip address www.mycustomdomain.com is CNAME to base-stationmycustomdomain.com and then mycustomdomain.com hops to www.mycustomdomain.com. Sounds a little convoluted but works for me.

Feb 19, 2015 4:32 AM in response to rbcuenca

So after a couple of hours of playing around and testing I've finally found the correct settings to achieve this, I wasn't able to find the configuration options through the Windows Airport Utility client but borrow a MacBook Air from a family member and was able to find it:

1. Open the AirPort Utility on a Mac computer.

2. Click on your AirPort Device, then click "Edit".

3. Select the "Internet" tab.

4. Now in the "Domain Name" section type "yourhostname.ddns.net" or it could be "yourhostname.no-ip.com" or whatever other hostname No-IP.com may have assigned you.

5. Now click the "Internet Options" button.

6. At the bottom of the windows that opened tick the check box "Use dynamic global hostname"

7. In the "Hostname" section fill it with "no-ip.ddns"

8. In the "User" & "Password" sections fill it with the username and password that you chose when creating your "No-IP.com" account.

9. Now click "Save" which will save the settings and click "Update" to update the Airport device which will also restart it.

And you're done!

Please note that it does sometimes take up to 5 to 10 minutes to update the DNS settings to No-IP.com, which caused me to think it wasn't working initially.

Good luck!

How can I configure a dynamic dns at an airport extreme (7.6.1)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.