Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi connection persistently dropping - iPad 2 5.1

Since upgrading my iPad 2 to 5.1 (and my iPhone 4 too) neither device is unable to hold on to a wifi signal. I had no such issues with the previous OS. Like a lot of others in here, and out there, I await a fix.😟

iPad 2, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 11:59 PM

7 replies

Mar 23, 2012 12:29 AM in response to Diavonex

Thank you for the suggestion. I live ten miles from the nearest loaf of bread so my network isn't secured anyway. The thing that leads me to conclude that there's a broader issue, is that two devices have the same problem and that no other device in the house, including a Mac, have any problem at all. Once again though, thank you.

Mark.

Mar 23, 2012 12:45 AM in response to MarkOneG

What have you tried so far to resolve the issue. There are many work arounds dependent on configuration of your home set up. What type of router do you have. Have you had any issues creating an Ad-hoc wireless network directly with a PC. The new updates across the Mac Apple platforms have thrown up problems in many areas, though a common theme seems to be the underlying network transport mechanism and how it copes with new algorithms alongside old cached information. Deleing old network connections, powering off/on and recreating networks should be considered a first step. I too have had some problems with a Windows set up (Sony Vaio, Ultimate Vista x32,and Linksys 54g flavour router.Network cards are Marvell Yukon 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet controller and a Intel Pro 3945ABG Wireless.

ISP is Virgin Media, and it has not helped that they are in the middle of a National Network upgrade that wll double everyone's bradband speed for free. Case in point last night. Since I travel with my laptop and iPad, I plug it in everynight (Ethernet). I only got an unknown local etwork connection and no internet!!. A check in Status/Properties/IPv4/Properties, found that somehow, instead of fetching an IP address automatically, the option had changed itself to use the following address with 192.168.0.1 listed and a subnet of 255.255.255.0. I do not use the Ethernet port for anything else other than Home connection.

Also download speeds from iTunes store have been atrociously slow with my normal 20Meg connection running at 56K modem rates. I also understand that the Network Alliance has lobbied the Wireless Router manufacturers to upgrade and move away from the b/g mode standard in favour of N1/N2 and 'a' (5ghz). Many will also experience problems if they bought a router in the last 2-3 years with n1/2 cabability since they may well have been prepped with the 'draft' n mode, in which case a firmware upgrade should be done as soon as possible. There seems to be a "perfect storm' of networking problems in the wild at the moment, with Apple's Lion roll out caught slap bang in the middle. Patience seems to be the order of the day. Try the network connection renewel strategy first, and test your i devices connectivity by direct ad hoc to test their functionalities first. Hope you find a solution.

Mar 23, 2012 1:21 AM in response to Coppertiger

Thank you for such a detailed response. I have tried rincing the iPad of its remembered connections and no improvement. The router is new, but it worked brilliantly with 5.01. Something very odd. I'm sat here in the room where the router is located and I'm looking at the iPad screen that displays wifi settings. It's dropping the connection and then restoring it at approximately ten second intervals. It's doing the same thing with the settings window closed too. I can see the wireless indicator turning on and off.

I think I've found my problem. But what is it?

Mar 23, 2012 2:19 AM in response to MarkOneG

Sorry if I'm only adding to the confusion but I seem to have fixed the problem I was having on both the iPhone and the iPad.

I reset the router by turning it off and then on again after a few minutes.

I reset network settings on both the phone and the pad and turned those off using the slide.

Turned it all on again.

Everything now works. Wifi is not dropping.

I'm inclined to think the router was at the root of the problem.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Wifi connection persistently dropping - iPad 2 5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.