Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fan is running constantly on my MBP

I hope someone can help, this beats me. The fan is almost constantly running, it should't be.

The Activity monitor at the moment is showing that 45% of CPU is idle.

About a third of my drive is free.

I have 500 Gb of SSD, so there are no moving disk heads.

The screen is turned up to a level I want to work with.

I am running the regular stuff -- Word, Firefox, Mail and oter Apple apps, all usual stuff.

The MBP sits on a clear glass desk so heat can disburse through the glass, but the fan is still running.

The MBP is about two years old.

Lion.

I have reset that master thing (sorry I forget the initials) but it's recommeded for this problem.

Please, someone come to my rescue and tell me what I can do to make it possible for the fan to stop.

James

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 500Gb SSD

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 4:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 4:51 AM

Ah...your fans are supposed to run all the time...mostly at 2000 RPM's...that's normal.

11 replies

Mar 23, 2012 4:54 AM in response to James Roberston

Mine, at the moment, with a number of apps running in the background, is at 96-98% idle. If yours is only 45% idle, that means something is using a lot of processor time. What process is that?

Also, note that glass is not a good conductor of heat. Not that it should matter unless you're doing something that should generate a lot of heat, like playing a graphically-complex 3D game.

Mar 23, 2012 6:27 AM in response to thomas_r.

Thomas, thanks for taking the time to respond. Activity monitor is curently showing 98% idle, and the fan has stopped running. So now I have to track down the process that is using all the processor time. None of the apps shows much activity, and I am not running any games.

I guess I have to monitor the apps and see what is using all the CPU. Are there any likely suspects? Is MS Office a candidate? Are there any apps that are notorious for using CPU?

Thanks for your help.

James

Mar 23, 2012 7:21 AM in response to James Roberston

Perform a SMC Reset,

The computer's fans run at high speed although the computer is not experiencing heavy usage and is properly ventilated

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Check your Avitiy Monitor> CPU > All Processed and click it to sort so you can see what's taking your CPU processor cycles and thus making your fans come on.

If your problem went away upon a reboot, it's possible a program you were running had a runaway process.

Monitor the problem and try to localize/narrow down when it and how it occurs

Mar 23, 2012 7:42 AM in response to ds store

Thanks, I habve already done the SMC reset, and will do it again. I have the activity monitor running sorted so that the highest users are at the top. At the moment all is quiet. I will wait for the fan to come on and see what Activity Monitor says.

Yes, it did stop after a reboot. Interesting about runaway processes. I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks for your help and interest.

James

Fan is running constantly on my MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.