Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Monitor Won't Wake Up from Sleep

I'm using 2 imac 27' and one is simply used as an external display. When I wake up the computer from sleep, it works on the main monitor, however the external display still has a black screen. I have to unplug the external monitor to get it to wake up. Is there anyway to fix this?

iMac

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 5:13 AM

20 replies

Feb 9, 2017 7:16 PM in response to destnj

I Have this problem too. Plugging/unplugging does not fix it. What I have to do is bring up preferences/monitors on the laptop screen and then change the resolution of the dark monitor to a new one and it comes to life again. I then put it back at it's optimal resolution. It's a quick fix, but man is this annoying! It's very intermittent too. Happens one time out of ten, thank god! Even after all these years, I never found what triggers the problem. It seems completely random.

Jun 16, 2017 9:06 AM in response to destnj

I found a solution to this problem that works in my case. After exiting sleep mode, when one monitor does not turn on, I turn on the sleep mode again. I wait until the computer completely goes into sleep mode, the indicator on the computer slowly blinks. Then again, I wake up the computer and both monitors work again.

My configuration:

Mac mini (Late 2012)

First monitor (HDMI cable)

Second monitor (DP cable)

Jul 15, 2012 3:25 PM in response to destnj

I have the new 15" Retina MacBook Pro connected to a Thunderbolt display using one of the TB ports. Earlier today, I discovered that I could connect a second older 24" Dell Monitor (2405FPW) I've been using for years by using the DisplayPort to DVI adapter I had on my old iMac, and plugging the Dell directly into the second Thunderbolt port on the MBP. All was well, until the displays went to sleep (I have my laptop configured to not sleep for 3 hours, but have the displays sleep after about 15 minutes). When I came back, moving the mouse and typing on the keyboard brought the Thunderbolt Display back to life, but the Dell monitor remained dark. Pressing buttons on the Dell had the message "In Power Save Mode - press key on the keyboard" appear. I tried turning the monitor off, back on, unplugging the DVI cable from the MBP, all sorts of things. It just would not wake up. When going to the System Preferences, the dell WAS recognized. As I plugged and unplugged the DVI cable from the second TB port, the "Arrangement" tab would appear and go away. So, it SEEMED like it was working.

Final solution for me: I selected "Sleep" from the Apple menu to actually put the entire machine to sleep. I then jiggled the mouse, and the machine woke up, along with BOTH monitors!

So, it appears that if just the monitors go to sleep, the "wake" signal is not making it to the Dell. If the ENTIRE MACHINE sleeps, they all wake together.

Hope that helps someone. I couldn't find an answer, so I found it trial-and-error.

Aug 15, 2013 1:36 AM in response to KeyBored

When you put your Mac to sleep, wait for the external monitor to show "no signal" or go black. Then switch the monitor off.

Then, before you wake up your Mac, switch the monitor back on, then wake up your Mac. This is clearly some sort of Apple Thunderbolt/DisplayPort problem.

There are at least 20 threads in here with similar Thunderbolt/DisplayPort problems.

External Monitor Won't Wake Up from Sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.