Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When my hard drive gets full...

I use ATV to stream saved DVD movies from my iMac.

When I finally fill the hard drive on my iMac what are my options for viewing additional saved films on my ATV?

MacPro/iMac/MacBook Air/iPhone/iPad, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 11:41 AM

8 replies

Mar 23, 2012 12:05 PM in response to Pagemakers2

No. They can only read from one drive at a time. You can put your iTunes Library on any mounted device and configure iTunes to load its library from that location. But iTunes can only load one library at a time although you can change libraries by having iTunes load a library from a different location. Apple TV doesn't access a drive rather it accesses the iTunes Library that is currently open.

Mar 23, 2012 12:29 PM in response to Kappy

Pedantic point. Only one folder can be designated as the iTunes Media folder, but if you turn off the preference to Copy files to the iTunes Media folder when adding to library an iTunes library can reference media stored anywhere on your local or network drives.

Doug's script Re-locate Selected could be used, for example, to move larger files to an overflow location on an external drive while leaving the rest of the library in the usual place.

That said, a drive big enough to hold all your media in one go will always be a better option as it is much easier to backup and migrate to new hardware.

I also believe there are occasional issues using NAS for iTunes Media (e.g. content getting lost or not able to be shared) but it's not an area I have practical experience of.

tt2

When my hard drive gets full...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.