Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X 10.5.8 update to Lion

I am currently running Mac OS X Version 10.5.8. I want to update to Lion but I am prompted to buy from the Mac Store App. I am unable to get it to download. It is not in my software updates. Help!!

IMAC, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 1:45 PM

20 replies

Mar 23, 2012 1:49 PM in response to Becky Zuber

Assuming you have a compatible Mac(PowerPC, Core Solo, and Core Duo Macs aren't compatible), either purchase Mac OS X 10.6 on DVD and then Mac OS X 10.7 from the Mac App Store, or purchase Mac OS X 10.7 on the USB flash drive; the drive is more expensive than the two separate purchases combined.

(65041)

Mar 23, 2012 1:50 PM in response to Becky Zuber

You must first purchase and install Snow Leopard 10.6.8. You will then be able to access the App Store in order to purchase and download Lion.

In preparation I suggest reading:

How to Install OS X Updates Successfully

A. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions:

Boot from your current OS X Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. Then select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the installer. Now restart normally.

If DU reports errors it cannot fix, then you will need Disk Warrior (4.0 for Tiger) and/or TechTool Pro (4.5.2 for Tiger) to repair the drive. If you don't have either of them or if neither of them can fix the drive, then you will need to reformat the drive and reinstall OS X.

B. Make a Bootable Backup Using Restore Option of Disk Utility:

1. Open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder.
  2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.
  3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.
  4. Check the box labeled Erase destination.
  5. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it to the Destination entry field.
  6. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to the Source entry field.
  7. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the external backup drive. Source means the internal startup drive.

C. Important: Please read before installing:

1. If you have a FireWire hard drive connected, disconnect it before installing the update unless you will boot from this drive and install the update on it. Reconnect it and turn it back on after installation is complete and you've restarted.
  2. You may experience unexpected results if you have installed third-party system software modifications, or if you have modified the operating system through other means. (This does not apply to normal application software installation.)
  3. The installation process should not be interrupted. If a power outage or other interruption occurs during installation, use the standalone installer (see below) from Apple Downloads to update. While the installation is in progress do not use the computer.

D. To upgrade:

Purchase the Snow Leopard Retail DVD.

Boot From The OS X Installer Disc:

• Insert OS X Installer Disc into the optical drive.
  • Restart the computer.
  • Immediately after the chime press and hold down the "C" key.
  • Release the key when the spinning gear below the dark gray Apple logo appears.
  • Wait for installer to finish loading.

• E. If updating:

1. Download and install update(s)
    2. Use Software Update, or
    3. Download standalone updater(s).

Be sure your computer meets the system requirements:

Snow Leopard General requirements

• Mac computer with an Intel processor
    • 1GB of memory
    • 5GB of available disk space
    • DVD drive for installation
    • Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.
    • Some features require Apple’s MobileMe service; fees and terms apply.

Lion System Requirements

• Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
    • 2GB of memory
    • OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
    • 7GB of available space
    • Some features require an Apple ID; terms apply.

How to Install Lion Successfully - You must have Snow Leopard 10.6.7 or 10.6.8 Installed

A. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions:

Boot from your Snow Leopard Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. Then select Disk Utility from the Utilities. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the installer. Now restart normally.

If DU reports errors it cannot fix, then you will need Disk Warrior (4.3.) if DW cannot fix the drive, then you will need to reformat the drive and reinstall Snow Leopard.

B. Make a Bootable Backup Using Restore Option of Disk Utility:

1. Open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder.
    2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.
    3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.
    4. Check the box labeled Erase destination.
    5. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it to the Destination entry field.
    6. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to the Source entry field.
    7. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the backup volume. Source means the internal startup volume.

C. Important: Please read before installing:

1. If you have a FireWire hard drive connected, disconnect it before installing the update unless you will boot from this drive and install the update on it. Reconnect it and turn it back on after installation is complete and you've restarted.
    2. You may experience unexpected results if you have installed third-party system software modifications, or if you have modified the operating system through other means. (This does not apply to normal application software installation.)
    3. The installation process should not be interrupted. If a power outage or other interruption occurs during installation, use the standalone installer (see below) from Apple Downloads to update. While the installation is in progress do not use the computer.

D. To upgrade to Lion:

1. Purchase the Lion Installer from the Mac App Store. The download will start quickly. Lion is nearly 4 GBs so a fast internet connection is essential. Download time could run upwards of 4 hours depending upon network conditions and server demands at the time.
    2. Boot From The Lion Installer which is located in your Applications folder.
    3. Follow instructions for installation.

Mar 23, 2012 1:54 PM in response to Becky Zuber

It's not an Update, it's a paid "Upgrade", the recommended way is to buy 10.6, install, update to 10.6.8 which has the APP store,, then Buy & download Lion/10.7 from the APP store.

It can be done directly by buying Lion on a USB stick for more than the cost of 10.6 & 10.7 combined, then erasing your drive to install.

Snow Leopard/10.6.x Requirements...

General requirements

* Mac computer with an Intel processor

* 1GB of memory (I say 2GB at least)

* 5GB of available disk space (I say 30GB at least)

* DVD drive for installation

* Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.

* Some features require Apple’s MobileMe service; fees and terms apply.

Which apps work with Mac OS X 10.6?...

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

It looks like they might still have it...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA

If it's a core Duo & not a Core2Duo, then it'll only run in 32 bit mode.

Lion/101.7 System requirements

• x86-64 processor (Macs with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel Core i3, Intel Core i5, Intel Core i7, or Xeon processor.)

• At least 2GB of memory, I say 6 GB

• Latest version of Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.8), with the Mac App Store installed

• At least 4GB of disk space for downloading, I say 50 GB.

Like Snow Leopard, Lion does not support PowerPC-based Macs (e.g., Power Macs, PowerBooks, iBooks, iMacs (G3-G5), eMacs).

Lion also does not support 32-bit Intel Core Duo or Core Solo based Macs. Rosetta is no longer available in Lion, which means Lion no longer supports PowerPC applications.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Lion#System_requirements

http://www.apple.com/macosx/how-to-buy/

What applications are not compatible with Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion"?

http://ow.ly/5Iz09

http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

Or if you can erase your disk...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD256

Mar 31, 2012 5:29 AM in response to nvnv0

Why? Apple never gives its reasons for why on this forum. This being a user to user forum that says we can't question Apple's policy, or speculate, we can't say for certain. However, this thread covers the possibility: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3188922?start=0&tstart=0

and so does this:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1161203/should_you_clean_install_lion.html

Jun 5, 2012 8:55 AM in response to Becky Zuber

good evening my name is jonathon gage and deaf and i am very new to apple computer and the guy i bought from has macbook and it is macbook and it is fairly good computer and um, my question the guy also mentioned that he bought a lion thumbprint flash drive and has everthing for this computer and i cleaned the cd with mac os x install dvd and application dvd then i tried to upgrade with the thumbprint beside that i already up date the software and etc i am at 10.5.8 right now the thumbprint said that i cannot run this application with this version, i mean the computer already had been lion before but i cleaned the system and put it all back and update the software etc now i cannot put lion back on so tell me what i can do, pls email me at xxxxxxx

thank you

jonathon

<Edited By Host>

Jun 21, 2012 9:09 AM in response to jonathon gage

Jonathan,

Sorry for not seeing your post earlier. But by trailing an old thread, no one could see your post. Please start a new topic here:

https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/mac_os_x_v10.5_leopard?view=discu ssions

Please also separate your ideas into distinct sentences separated by periods. It is very difficult to follow your train of thought.

Jun 21, 2012 9:12 AM in response to razvan76

Razvan,

Just because you couldn't upgrade to Lion or Snow Leopard due to hardware or software issues of your own, does not mean either is unstable. And remember this is a hospital ward. It disproportionately shows those with difficulty. If you want to learn what makes Snow Leopard and Lion work, please read these tips:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2455

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2465

And if you still have questions, please start a new topic thread. It would appear Becky's problems are either solved or they chose not to return to this thread. Trailing an existing thread, no one will see you.

Mac OS X 10.5.8 update to Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.