Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why won't my ibook (g3 800mhz, 640mb ram, OS X 10.4.11) recognize any external hard drives?

My ibook will power it but it will not recognize my hard drive in any way.

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), ibook g3 800mhz 640mb ram dual usb

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 2:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 9:00 AM

Hi, and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

How are the external hard drives formatted? Are they formatted as Apple Partition Map (APM)? That's what is needed for an iBook G3 to recognize them. Also, an external FireWire drive is best because you will be able to boot from it once it is properly formatted and has the OS installed.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2012 9:00 AM in response to Geofferyc

Hi, and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

How are the external hard drives formatted? Are they formatted as Apple Partition Map (APM)? That's what is needed for an iBook G3 to recognize them. Also, an external FireWire drive is best because you will be able to boot from it once it is properly formatted and has the OS installed.

Mar 27, 2012 11:21 AM in response to Ronda Wilson

Hi Ronda,

I got my External to work shortly after posting my original post. I figured I would post my solution in case anyone else is facing the same thing.

I could not find any trace of the hard drive on my mac but i figured out the problem was lack of power. I upgraded my external's enclosure from one that used one plug (data and power on one usb port) to one that used two plugs on one cable (data on one plug, power on another) and it properly powered my drive and I was then able to find it in Disk Utility and format it to work. It is formatted as Mac OS Extended (journaled). It has functioned properly since then. As far as using firewire vs. USB, I (at this moment, at least) have no need to boot from the external, so i don't see the need in using it. However, firewire is pretty new to me and I have never used it before so if there are other benefits to using it over usb, i would love to know. Especially since my external currently takes up both of my USB ports unless I use a hub or plug the power part of the cable into a USB wall charger or something like that to free the other port up.

Thanks,

Geoffery

why won't my ibook (g3 800mhz, 640mb ram, OS X 10.4.11) recognize any external hard drives?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.