Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air keyboard shortcuts.

What are the keyboard shortcuts to move to the start and to the end of a document in MacBook Air? The keyboard does not have a home key or an end key. Command-Up arrow and Command-Down arrow do not work.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 7:55 PM

8 replies

Mar 28, 2012 4:38 AM in response to CJ362

Thank-you boydner, it worked on a Word document, so I suppose it would work generally.

What I used was fn-option + left arrow for the top of the document, and fn-option + right arrow for the bottom of the document. This is a bit counter-intuitive, ie not using the up and down arrows, but if it works, fine.

Mar 28, 2012 9:15 AM in response to CJ362

You're welcome! It was a keyboard shortcut I used frequently before I bought my Air so it was really annoying not being able to use it. I finally figured it out soon after reading this thread and thought others might like to know.

The fn-Option + up arrow worked to move to the top of a document for me but the fn-Option - arrow does not work to move to the end of a document. It was counter-intuitive to use fn-Option + right arrow key to move to the end of the document. I hadn't tried fn-Option + left arrow yet so thank you for that information. I'm just happy to have a shortcut for this function again!

Nov 20, 2012 9:55 AM in response to CJ362

I have a Macbook Air Nov 2012 with OSX 10.8

TextEdit:

cmd + left arrow: Go to beginning of the line

cmd + right arrow: Go to the end of the line

cmd + up: Go to the beginning of the document

cmd + down: Go to the end of the document

HOWEVER in Firefox...

The above commands do completely different things.

And instead, to go to the start or end of a line I use

alt + left, or alt + right.

This is all kind of infuriating, and after a week I miss my 17" Dell monster.

This MBA just feels like a glorified point-and-click machine for browsing.

I wish there was a premium PC laptop built with the same aesthetics!

Aug 22, 2014 3:30 PM in response to I'mNeither

I hear you brother!! I only bought this blasted thing (13" MacBook Air Mid-2013) for its aesthetics, SSD and battery life...was running Windows exclusively on it until recently when I was forced by my uni tutors to install OS X. Windows + MacBook Air = best user experience a Windows lover could ever ask for! But Mac OS X + any hardware = going bald from tearing out your hair in frustration! Unless of course you grew up with Macs...then I imagine Windows + any hardware = going bald from tearing out your hair in frustration! I guess you gotta take the good with the bad 😉

MacBook Air keyboard shortcuts.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.