Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TOC disappeared

Something happened that I have not seen before. To build a new book, I duplicate an old book with similar structure, then remove all chapters.

Once I recreate the chapters, found that TOC is not there when previewed!

This is what is shown in iBooks Author:

User uploaded file

But this is what shown on my iPad 3 when previewed:

User uploaded file

I am using the latest iBooks and iBooks Author.

Any idea? Thanks!

iBooks Author-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 7:30 PM

10 replies

Mar 30, 2012 10:47 AM in response to limtc

I'm having the same problem! Except in iPad 2! I've tried everything I can think of to get it back. It was working at one point...the only thing I can associate with when it disappeared was I dragged and dropped an image in to the placeholder on the TOC master. When I realized this image showed up on all pages, I removed it, and found a way to put different images in on different chapters. But now the content doesn't show up on any of the TOC pages in preview. Short of starting a whole new book and pasting the entire book content in again, I don't know what to do.

Mar 30, 2012 6:14 PM in response to jJHay

I actually redo the whole book and it works...

However, I later found that the problem comes back again. And all you need to do is to kill the iBooks app and restart it. Seems like iBooks is out of memory (might be a hint that the book takes out too much memory by using too many images or videos).

Mar 30, 2012 8:09 PM in response to limtc

Thanks limtc!

That did it! Phew.

I had not known about killing apps until now.

It seems it is a memory issue.

I was really getting baffled when the problem resurfaced after trying to preview other iba files that I had not touched in a long time.

Not obvious. It would certainly not be obvious to a buyer of the book.

I guess I really should reduce the size of the book.

Nice to finally have an answer - after two days of pulling my hair out!

Thanks again.

Mar 30, 2012 8:18 PM in response to jJHay

Haha, if this solved your question, remember to click on the green button "This solved my question" so others will know about it. 🙂

I only know about this AFTER I redo all 6 books having the issues, wasting a few days (or not, since I use the chance to clean up the design).

Mar 30, 2012 8:36 PM in response to limtc

That's funny, that's just what I tried to do, as I was so happy to have it resolved...but then found out you can only do that if you are the creator of the issue. The options for "This solved my question" and "This helped me" don't appear if you are just replying to the thread.

see: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3818509?start=0&tstart=0

I would think it would be useful for everyone checking the thread.

Anyway, you can do it!

And then perhaps we can save others from days of hair-pulling.

TOC disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.