Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use SCR3310 CAC reader on Snow Leopard?

Hi guys. I have never tried to set this up before and a little baffled by the process, but I have a 2009 MacBook that I just recently traded my old laptop in for and I don't know how to set up the card reader. I am in the Navy reserves, so having access to my webmail is extremely important. With the age of this laptop, I don't have a lot of space to set up Windows on the side through boot camp or really use virtual machines and constantly hooking up my external just to boot into Windows is really inconvienent time-wise. I have seen my friend use the same card reader on one of the newer MacBook Pro's, before Lion was released and it worked just fine. I went into keychain and saw where the card reader was detected, but when I put in my regular account password to unlock it, it just closes the login prompt and stays locked. I also put in the PIN to the card and it would not take that as a password.

I have tried using this card reader in both Safari 5.1 and Google Chrome 17.0.963.83 with no luck. The card reader light flashes as if the OS is reading the card, but it doesn't go beyond that and the page ends up getting denied. Do you guys have any suggestions on what to use to circumvent this problem, or is there something that I can do to my OS to unlock the CAC reader for use?

Just a few important specs to include about this computer:

Mac OS 10.6.8

120GB Hard drive

I wouldn't think anything else would matter at this point, but could be wrong. Does somebody know of a fix to this so that I don't have to use open source software and I don't have to go and buy the actual middleware? Thank you.

Below are pictures of what I am trying to do.

Here's what I see by accessing keychain...I am able to unlock system by using my password, but not he CAC reader.

User uploaded file

This is the password box that it is requesting. I have used my account password and have tried using the PIN for the card with no luck from either.

User uploaded file

If I cancel out of the prompt, as it prompts me 3 times, it brings up this screen. So I know that the support for it is there, but I can't figure out what is wrong.

User uploaded file

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:30 PM

There are no replies.

How to use SCR3310 CAC reader on Snow Leopard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.