Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot find correct resolution for VGA Monitor

I have dual monitors connected to my 2010 Mac mini (the first model of Mac mini to support two separate monitor outputs) and I have it in extended desktop mode. (Different content on both monitors)

When I first attached my secondary monitor, the resolution was correct. However, ever since a power outage several years ago the monitor's resolution ratio is different. The monitor's resolution is now 1280 x 1024, but the ratio is off for my Widescreen monitor. It isn't the default "widescreen", but it isn't a square either. Because of this ratio mismatch, all the content on that monitor is stretched out horizontally. (From side to side)

It may not be by much, but this mismatch is really annoying for viewing anything but text. Not only is the UI stretched, but pictures and video are stretched as well, which makes the pictures look bizarre. When I drag the window over to my primary monitor, which is connected by DVI, the ratio is just right, and is not distorted at all.

My Mac has been reformatted since the problem first arised, and yet it still exists. I doubt anything is wrong with my hardware, and I have new software, so I kind of think it has to do with either my monitor or somewhere in the transmission of the signal from my Mac to the monitor.

If anyone has any idea how to fix this, please leave a response. I am open to using Terminal mods if necessary, if that will set the exact dimentions of my monitor as I please. Whatever will fix this, as long as it is safe and won't cause any trouble for my Mac. Thank you!

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.3), Mac mini 2010 with OS X Lion

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:12 PM

6 replies

Mar 24, 2012 10:40 AM in response to macteen94

Just trying to be certain, since some words can be easily misconstrued & without trying to make any judgement calls or being aware of what is known by the questioner, thought I'd ask to be clear, thanks.

Anyway, in the Displays pref pane, do any Widescreen ratios show up, or are they all 4:3, maybe 16:10 but no 16:9 ???

Might look into DisplayConfigX...

http://www.3dexpress.de/

Mar 24, 2012 8:47 PM in response to BDAqua

The VGA Monitor has the following options for resolutions:

800 x 600

832 x 624

1024 x 768

1152 x 870

1280 x 768

1280 x 960

1280 x 1024 (current)

1344 x 1008

1400 x 1050

1600 x 1024

1600 x 1200

1920 x 1080

The different options for resolutions also include different refresh rates afterward, but only 75 Hz options work. Also, no resolution higher than my current resolution works without making the display "wiggle" or a very bizarre effect where my monitor turns completely white in a seemingly random pattern, and back to black, and repeating. I also get a report generated by my monitor, "Signal Out of Range", and have to revert the resolution. The out of range alert only appears when the resolution selected is close to the current, but still above it.

Unfortunately, I don't have the information for my monitor any longer, and I don't know what the resolution should be. My DVI monitor is 1920 x 1080, but that is a different ratio; it is more widescreen than my VGA monitor.

I will take a look at that website, I just don't know what resolution I should pick even if I get the option.

Cannot find correct resolution for VGA Monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.