Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I import an mp3 CD into iTunes?

I often borrow audiobook CDs from the library and have no trouble importing them to iTunes. But many of them come as mp3 CDs, which has been causing me lots of headaches. First of all, iTunes doesn't recognize those kinds of CDs. I used to be able to get around this by simply using the File > Add to Library feature. But with iTunes 10.6, this no longer seems to work and I haven't found a simple way to upload the tracks to iTunes. When I Google this problem, I find lots of answers to copying mp3 tracks from iTunes onto CDs, but I want to do the opposite. Help?!?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 10:21 PM

8 replies

Mar 24, 2012 7:57 PM in response to Smiler-__

That is most likely the issue. Drag-n-drop from Finder has equivalent behavior as Add to Library. If you do it with "Copy..." not selected, iTunes will reference the file you give it. In your case that file is on the MP3 CD, and when you take out the CD, iTunes is at a loss.

With "Copy..." enabled, iTunes will make its own copy, and will play that new copy even after the CD is removed.

Mar 25, 2012 4:36 PM in response to ed2345

Awesome! You have no idea how much time I wasted and how much I raged against iTunes for not having a simpler function to enable copying mp3 CDs. I just tried it out with one CD and it worked without a glitch and as quickly as I'd expect from the latest version of iTunes.

Thanks for you help ed!

I just want to add as a general comment about iTunes that it would be nice if they made copying mp3s a more direct and a more obvious process... "copy files to iTunes media folder" works fine... once you've figured out you need to check that option!. I love apple products and apps for how intuitively they can be used, and can't say it's the case here!

How do I import an mp3 CD into iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.