Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I upgrade Apple TV 2 to iOX 5.0?

I wanted to upgrade my Apple TV 2 to the new software iOX 5.0. I have been trying for weeks wtih no result.

When I select "Update software" in ATV settings it responds "Apple TV does not need to be updated".

When I select "Restore" in ATV settings it responds "Apple TV can not download the latest update right now. Please try later".

I have read the threads in the dicussions about how people solved this by changing the DNS to either OpenDNS or Google.

Done that, both in my Time Capsule ant ATV with no difference at all. I have not yet tried to connect it to my Mac Book and via iTunes.

I am in Sweden (if that matters) and I still like to update. I just don't know how.

Could atv flash black be the cause? A restore should kill it, but I can not restore.

Anyone with any sollutions? If not I'll buy the new ATV 3.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 2,13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 2:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 5:07 AM

If your problem persists get yourself a micro USB cable (sold separately), you can restore your Apple TV from iTunes:

• Remove ALL cables from Apple TV. (if you don't you will not see Apple TV in the iTunes Source list)
  • Connect the micro USB cable to the Apple TV and to your computer.
  • Open iTunes.
  • Select your Apple TV in the Source list, and then click Restore.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2012 5:07 AM in response to Hans Eklundh

If your problem persists get yourself a micro USB cable (sold separately), you can restore your Apple TV from iTunes:

• Remove ALL cables from Apple TV. (if you don't you will not see Apple TV in the iTunes Source list)
  • Connect the micro USB cable to the Apple TV and to your computer.
  • Open iTunes.
  • Select your Apple TV in the Source list, and then click Restore.

Why can't I upgrade Apple TV 2 to iOX 5.0?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.