Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple copies of printer driver installed every time printer is connected

Because my multi-port USB hub is currently on the blink, I have to temporarily disconnect my printer cable to use the USB port on my Mac whenever I need to use another USB device on this port. When I reconnect my printer (Brother laser printer), the driver for this printer is reinstalled automatically and I end up with multiple copies of this printer displayed in my print dialog window. Of course, all of these printers also show up in the Print & Fax System Preferences pane. I suppose there really is no problem here, but I feel compelled to get rid of all the extra copies of the printer driver.

Is there a fix for this?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 5:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 4:34 PM

It is a problem because it should not happen. The Mac should recognise that a printer proxy already exists and not create another. Now I remember this being an issue with my Canon printer at one stage and I think it was resolved by a driver update. So check the Brother web site for an update to the printer driver for your model.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2012 4:34 PM in response to Fred L Johnson

It is a problem because it should not happen. The Mac should recognise that a printer proxy already exists and not create another. Now I remember this being an issue with my Canon printer at one stage and I think it was resolved by a driver update. So check the Brother web site for an update to the printer driver for your model.

Jun 1, 2012 6:23 PM in response to PAHU

Well, the problem just returned. I now have 3 copies of the Brother HL-1440 series driver. It happened simultaneously with my computer not seeing the printer when it should have been online. I have been having to disconnect its USB connection from the computer and reconnecting it to get the computer to see it. I suspect the extra copies of the driver are being installed when the computer sees the "new" printer connection.

Multiple copies of printer driver installed every time printer is connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.