Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Access Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups from non-Apple Mac machines?

Hello.

Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines (Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be accessed with a Mac? I use multiple computers and OSes.

Thank you in advance. 🙂

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2.4 Ghz; A1260 model; 15" size.

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 10:35 AM

No.

10 replies

Mar 24, 2012 10:39 AM in response to antdude

If you format a drive partition as EXFAT, you can read/write from any system that recognizes that format.

But it can be tricky even with that compatibility. I formatted a thumb drive as exFat using Mac,but the Windows system would not recognize it. When I formatted that exFat on Windws, OSX had no issues with it. Odd, that.

But then you do not have a specially formatted backup set, you have a directory structure you designed and must maintain.

Mar 24, 2012 10:53 AM in response to steve359

steve359 wrote:

If you format a drive partition as EXFAT, you can read/write from any system that recognizes that format.

But it can be tricky even with that compatibility. I formatted a thumb drive as exFat using Mac,but the Windows system would not recognize it. When I formatted that exFat on Windws, OSX had no issues with it. Odd, that.

But then you do not have a specially formatted backup set, you have a directory structure you designed and must maintain.

Interesting. I thought Time Machine only can do Mac OS X's fileystem (HFS IIRC). I remember a few years ago, I formatted the drive as NTFS, but Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine refused to use it so I made it HFS. Now, I am hoping Windows and Linux can access Time Machine backups, but it doesn't seem like it can. 😟

Access Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups from non-Apple Mac machines?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.