Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can an iPhone be encrypted?

Hi everybody,

Can an iPhone be encrypted? I keep reading these stories where police confiscate cell phones and download all the user data. Before i buy an iPhone i'd like to know if there is a way to encrypt it to prevent such snooping.

🙂

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), 2.2 Ghz Intel Core i7

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 9:01 AM

22 replies

Jul 15, 2012 10:25 PM in response to bensen408

For all of you who think you have nothing to worry about, I would invite you to watch this short and VERY informative clip on why you should encrypt your phone. Apple really needs to make it an available feature on the iphone. Starting around the 5 minute mark in this clip, you will get a very good reason as to why you should encrypt your phone if possible. Even if you do think you are angel with a halo who has done nothing wrong! Remember if the cops have this technology, of course so do criminals (I mean the criminals without arrrest powers).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVCROjpgCB0&feature=related

Nov 14, 2013 10:52 PM in response to SET0TITAN

Wow, why the drama? Just got a divorce, etc? Perhaps you didn't understand the very simple thing that I said. Which was that the video illustrated "WHY YOU SHOULD ENCRYPT YOUR IPHONE," Which after your dramatic statement you still didn't instruct us poor fools on how to do who don't know how to use google, lol. I don't see anywhere that I said, it was a "how to" video. So chill out oh so brilliant one with wisdom above us standard peons!

I even said start at the main point which is at the five minute mark. That was so the simple minded wouldn't watch it all and make some stupid comment. (Not that anyone would ever do that,lol!) If you watched all of it, that's your own fault, not mine.

Does someone have a case of the Mondays? Lol!

Nov 14, 2013 11:00 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Yeah, I know about burners, etc. that was NOT the point. The point quiet simply was THE REASON WHY YOU SHOULD ENCRYPT YOUR IPHONE if you have one. Crime or no crime. Whether you're grandma Moses or Bonnie of Bonnie and Clyde fame. It wasn't about the best way to get away with a crime, lol. Am I speaking English here folks? **** forget the cops, encrypting your phone makes it harder for some little snot nose meth head who just stole your phone from getting all of your info off of it to steal your identity, etc.

Nov 15, 2013 7:15 AM in response to sithjedi33

There's no drama here trollbait, I think you're blowing it out of proportion. My time is limited and I don't like have it wasted as I'm sure is the case with most people. This thread was started asking how to encrypt your phone. Obviously we all know we should encrypt our phones or we wouldn't be on this thread. So a video making that same point is redundant. I thanked you for the effort and was very poite.

Try not to take things so personally, you'll live longer. You seem stressed.. tell me all about it. 😀

Nov 15, 2013 1:20 PM in response to SET0TITAN

Not everyone reading these posts has your superior wisdom. Many people reading are asking themselves, what's the big deal? Why should I encrypt. Anything? Those are who my original post was intended for. Obviously not someone of your advanced knowledge. You keep referring to wasted time. I'm surprised you can find time to share your wisdom with us little people, lol. Enough about this. It's ridiculous.

Can an iPhone be encrypted?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.