Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Longer boot up with no chime after hard drive replacement.

I recently had my late 2009 27" iMac repaired by Apple because of a hard drive failure. But i noticed that it now takes a little bit longer to boot up and there isn't the usual chime when it starts up, the difference in time is only maybe 20 seconds longer than it used to be, it's not a major problem really but i'd just like to make sure it's running ok.

Once up and running it works fine, nothing different with the performance at all.

When it was fixed it did need to have the rear housing replaced, i'm not sure why though. And the power cable now doesn't push all the way in, which doesn't seem to cause any power problems.

I also ran the AHT and that said there wasn't any problems.

Is there anything i should be worrying about? Because as i said, it's fine once it's up and running.

Thanks in advance.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 9:17 AM

I would call back (or go to the AASP if that was where the repairs were done) and list every one of the issues and politely but firmly ask that it be taken care of.

I wouldn't worry about the bootup time and it's great that it seems to be running well, but...... having no startup chime would be disturbing to me: it is the "notice" of the Mac to let you know that it passed it startup tests; i.e. if you have faulty RAM, there will be a series of beeps instead and there are other beeps/sounds for other causes.

And, I would want the power plug to fit snugly - that could mean that it isn't installed correctly and the bad fit could present problems as well.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2012 9:17 AM in response to zaktysoe

I would call back (or go to the AASP if that was where the repairs were done) and list every one of the issues and politely but firmly ask that it be taken care of.

I wouldn't worry about the bootup time and it's great that it seems to be running well, but...... having no startup chime would be disturbing to me: it is the "notice" of the Mac to let you know that it passed it startup tests; i.e. if you have faulty RAM, there will be a series of beeps instead and there are other beeps/sounds for other causes.

And, I would want the power plug to fit snugly - that could mean that it isn't installed correctly and the bad fit could present problems as well.

Mar 24, 2012 9:22 AM in response to babowa

Thanks a lot for the really quick reply, i'll make an appointment and take it back as soon as possible.

The power cable was the most worrying thing about it. I've also just noticed that the rear housing doesn't line up with the ports either, which means having to wiggle usb and firewire cales in. So i shall take it back.

Again, thanks a lot for the help.

Mar 24, 2012 9:26 AM in response to zaktysoe

Was this done under warranty? If this was an AASP, make sure you document everything (take closeup pics of the non-fitting plug etc) AND call Apple to inform them before taking it back in - I'd call such a "repair" unacceptable. If it was Apple, well, be polite but firm about it.

And, if you need to leave it there, make sure its' cosmetic/physical condition is documented on the repair order - just in case.

Mar 24, 2012 9:37 AM in response to babowa

Yes, it's still under the AppleCare protection plan so it's covered, and it was repaired at the Apple store.

Although, they did seem to hurry me out of the store without really explaining what had been repaired/replaced.

I've just called them informing them about it and that i'll be bringing it back in tomorrow, luckily it's only a 45 minute drive.

Thanks for the advice.

Longer boot up with no chime after hard drive replacement.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.