Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion won't launch new or updated apps

Hi All,

Hopefully you can help me out with this, because I'm near wits end with this.

I have had Lion since the day it came out, and this is the first time I've encountered this problem. All of the applications that I have downloaded and installed before yesterday worked perfectly. Then, out of the blue, any application that I install or update (not from the App store) refuses to launch. It either bounces forever in the dock or does nothing when it is clicked.

The only system changes I have made are installing Photoshop CS6 Beta and Steam. So far, I've tried:

- Permissions & Disk repair through the Lion recovery partition

- Removing and re-downloading the apps

- Running in 32-Bit mode

I'm running 10.7.3, with all the latest updates installed, on a mid-2011 Macbook Pro. Any help in the matter would be greatly appreciated, as I'm tearing my hair out over this. Restoring from a TM backup is not really a viable option currently, since my backup drive is 50 miles away and unavailable for the next week and a half (yes, I know... stupid me...)

Thanks again,

-Eric

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 10:56 AM

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the page that opens.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Try again to launch one of the affected applications. Post any messages that appear in the Console window – the text, please, not a screenshot.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2012 10:56 AM in response to Vpr99

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the page that opens.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Try again to launch one of the affected applications. Post any messages that appear in the Console window – the text, please, not a screenshot.

Mar 24, 2012 11:25 AM in response to Linc Davis

These seem to be the pertinent lines.

3/24/12 12:22:25.207 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0x54054].com.incident57.Less[763]) posix_spawn("/Users/ericskram/Desktop/Less.app/Contents/MacOS/Less", ...): Operation not permitted

3/24/12 12:22:25.207 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0x54054].com.incident57.Less[763]) Exited with code: 1

Mar 24, 2012 11:41 AM in response to Vpr99

Hmm. I may have found a solution to this. It seems to be caused by a bug with Lion's quarantine system. To solve it, I followed the following steps. (Less.app is my example)

In Terminal, I moved to the following:

Replace everything except for Contents/MacOS with the location of your application.

$: cd /Users/ericskram/Desktop/Less.app/Contents/MacOS

List the files in the directory using ls. There should just be one. In my case, it was named less.

$: xattr less

There should be an entry labeled com.apple.quarantine. If there is, use the following command to remove it.

$: xattr -d com.apple.quarantine less

Restart the system and it should work... at least it did for me.

Source: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57374676-263/workarounds-for-quarantine-bug -in-os-x-lion/

Mar 24, 2012 4:48 PM in response to Vpr99

I am having the exact same issue, with the same console messages. When trying to run an app from a disk image I'm asked:

User uploaded file

Clicking open leaves me with a bouncing icon in the dock and these messages in Console:

12-03-24 7:13:01.334 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0xa21a21].com.hyperbolicsoftware.tidyup!2[5746]) posix_spawn("/Volumes/Tidy Up! 2/Tidy Up!.app/Contents/MacOS/Tidy Up!", ...): Operation not permitted

12-03-24 7:13:01.335 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0xa21a21].com.hyperbolicsoftware.tidyup!2[5746]) Exited with code: 1

12-03-24 7:13:01.340 PM Dock: no information back from LS about running process

12-03-24 7:13:17.291 PM CoreServicesUIAgent: Unable to kill suspended application -- error 4294966696

If I check "Don't warn me when opening applications on this disk image" and open, I will get the bouncing icon and error messages. Open the app once more and it works as expected.

Also copying the app to a native folder and opening it I get the same error, but it opens on the second try.

Mar 26, 2012 10:33 AM in response to Simon-UK-

Hey Simon,

It turns out that, while my solution worked for certain things, it wasn't the root of the issue. Soemone on another forum suggested that it was related to a corrupted user account. So, per to his suggestion, I created a new account and did my best to swap over my settings. This worked better. I know it's a pain, but I couldn't find another way around it.

Mar 27, 2012 8:33 PM in response to Vpr99

I had this same issue after the failed install of a native instruments product (10.7.3). To actually complete the NI install, i had to create a different user account to get installer.app to not fail. Anyways, today I tried to update a drag and drop application and the outcome was the same as Vpr99's experience. Upon launching the application, it would appear on the dock, bounce, then eventually stop bouncing and disappear if clicked.

Same console output:

3/27/12 10:52:07.752 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.502: ([0x0-0x60060].com.freemacsoft.AppCleaner[1053]) posix_spawn("/Applications/AppCleaner.app/Contents/MacOS/AppCleaner", ...): Operation not permitted

3/27/12 10:52:07.752 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.502: ([0x0-0x60060].com.freemacsoft.AppCleaner[1053]) Exited with code: 1

Removed, reinstalled the application several times and removed any related files.

I ran all the relevant maintenance routines that one could find in Onyx or MacPilot--no resolve...restarted several times.

I reinstalled the app again then dropped it in BatChmod with a 755 octal setting, cleared xattrs, unlocked, applied to enclosed files and folders and the application opened up properly.

Apr 12, 2012 6:57 AM in response to yanokwa

I just wanted to pop in to say that I was having this EXACT problem. Some (not all) of my new apps would bounce forever in the dock, but if I clicked them, the icon disappeared. The app would never open. The solution presented by yanokwa above worked 100% the first time.

I uninstalled the Unarchiver and redownloaded and reunzipped a problem application using Archive Utility, and jango! It worked perfect.

Thank you!

Apr 15, 2012 12:17 PM in response to yanokwa

@yanokwa - YOU ARE A LIFESAVER. You have NO IDEA how hard it was to find this answer. I've literally been spending hours trying to find the right combination of things to do to solve this - and I was about to throw my MBP across the room. I am SO glad you were able to explain the problem, and the solution - and of course it was painfully simple.

Thank you so much for providing this answer. You have saved me from, and I am sure many, many others, a geek's life of frustration.

Thanks again.

P.S. If I could I would give you the 10 points for providing the correct solution. You deserve it.

***Message was edited by: Lotus.Geek - P.S. was added.

Jun 11, 2012 7:38 AM in response to jkwaters

My OS X 10.7.4 installation has exactly the issue described by JKWATERS.

I am not clear on the solution.

The original poster says he had to do a convoluted process, but that seems to be app specific,,, meaning it must be done for every app. However, on my MBP when this issue kicks into effect, it will happen with every new app I download and open. As JKWATERS pointed out, I have to click the bouncing app icon, it then vanishes, and I then activate the application again and it opens normally.

I'd love to sort this out.

Lion won't launch new or updated apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.