Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac will not start up and I get a 3 tone repeated beep. What is this?

Whenever I try to start up my iMac all I et is a series of 3-tone beeps repeated endlessly and I can't get it to start up. Also now the apple repair disc is stuck in the drive and I can,t eject it.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 9:57 AM

Sounds like bad, unseated or incompatible RAM modules.

see > iMac (Mid 2007) and later models: About startup tones

First try reinstalling your original modules one at a time pushing on them firmly to ensure that they are fully seated.

see > iMac: How to remove or install memory

If you are upgrading with new RAM, recheck the spec's...?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2012 9:57 AM in response to Jhigginson1

Sounds like bad, unseated or incompatible RAM modules.

see > iMac (Mid 2007) and later models: About startup tones

First try reinstalling your original modules one at a time pushing on them firmly to ensure that they are fully seated.

see > iMac: How to remove or install memory

If you are upgrading with new RAM, recheck the spec's...?

Mar 24, 2012 11:45 AM in response to Jhigginson1

Hold down the option key while starting your iMac

You should see a screen with some imagines of hard drives appear.

Press the eject key to eject the disk, then select your boot partition (likely named "Macintosh HD") and hit the return key.

If you still hear the three beeps, the computer may be unable to access its system memory. Preform the resets detailed in these articles:

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.7/en/mh26871.html

Or try as den.thed suggested if you have recently installed memory into your computer.

If your boot partition does not appear when you hold down option and "Recovery HD" also doesn't appear, or if it does not allow you to eject the disk, you may be experiencing hardware issues. Try the above resets, and if they don't work, you will need to go to your closest AASP or Apple Retail store for service.

Good luck.

My Mac will not start up and I get a 3 tone repeated beep. What is this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.