Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music has disappeared from iTunes and from my external hard drive

I store my music on 2 separate external hard drives. I have a lot of music and didnt want to choke my system drive. I do not have iTunes organise my folders. I have a lot of classical and iTunes doesnt understand classical music.

I began to notice a while back that music files were not accessible to iTunes giving the annoying ! when I go to play them. I thought it was because one of the two drives is regularly swopped out for a back up drive. So I recently became aware that many more files were missing and when I search either drive the actual file has gone.

I ran Dougs MIA script and a total of 2600 files are missing out of roughly 17,000. These are a mainly things I ripped myself from CD and alot of it is stuff I dont even listen to/ has never been in a play list so I couldnt have accidentally deleted them.

I notice a lot of comments about this stuff over the years in the other questions here but not much is so recent.

I'm on 10.6.8.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iPad, iPhone, Mac Book Pro

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 10:16 AM

3 replies

May 23, 2015 7:09 AM in response to goldbone

Whether or not a particular topic gathers a reply can depend on when it was posted, how clear the question was, and who was around answering questions at the time. Occasionally questions will get passed over when times are busy and nobody that does read it has a good answer to hand. Presumably the original poster found a solution or workaround elsewhere and lost interest in their own thread. If you look carefully you'll also find plenty of questions that have a good reply, and then no feedback from the original poster.

Ask your question. Bump your thread if you haven't had a response and it falls off the front page of the forum you posted in. Somebody will pick it up before too long.

tt2

Music has disappeared from iTunes and from my external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.