Previous 1 2 3 Next 37 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2012 9:10 AM by JPM-PL
Psilocybe Level 1 Level 1

I'd like to transfer large amounts of data over the internet from my MacBook Air to my Mac Mini Server. Both are running 10.7. The Mac Mini Server is running 10.7 Server.

I'd like to transfer 10GB + back to the server. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to setup server to better transfer files this way? Is there a way to setup FTP within OS X Server settings, or is there a way in File Sharing settings that I could accomplish this? Any help would be greatly appreciated! : )

Graham

Solved by JPM-PL on Mar 25, 2012 9:10 AM Solved

You're welcome !

Regards,

Jerzy.

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.applications
    Applications

The easiest way would be to use Back to My Mac in iCloud.

• Psilocybe Level 1 Level 1

I have that enabled and setup, but that doesn't solve my problem. Can you explain how you think this could work?

expertise.applications
    Applications

Mac OS X: Using and troubleshooting Back to My Mac with your iCloud account on OS X Lion

Enable file sharing on the mini. If everything is set up right, you should be able to see the sharepoints on the MBA whenever you have a network connection. Some gateways might not pass all the packet types required.

Tried that, but that's not strong enough. Transferring files via this method is like transferring a file from one local folder to another, and it invariably fails. I have it setup correctly.

expertise.applications
    Applications

I don't understand your response. You're transferring files over a network.

I have a MacBook Air in India that I am trying to transfer files to a Mac Mini Server in Pennsylvania, United States.

expertise.applications
    Applications

If you can transfer files over a local network with file sharing, then you can do the same thing over the Internet with BTTM, which is effectively just wide-area Bonjour. You haven't explained why it isn't working for you. It works for others.

• JPM-PL Level 1 Level 1

I assume that the network connection reliability is your main problem.

I recommend you to use file transfer client which is able to keep the connection and reestablich it in case of failure.

Try CyberDuck FTP/SFTP client. You can get it for free from the homesite http://cyberduck.ch/ or buy it from the App Store.

CyberDuck is quite reliable client. You can set a number of retries along with idle times in case of network failure. I use it regularly as incremental backup of my photos over Inetnet (2-5 GB per session) - no problems.

Cyberduck->Preferences->Connection

For better performance use SCP protocol for file transfer in CyberDuck->Preferences->SFTP

Make sure you enabled remote access to your mini via SSH / SCP.

Hope this will help.

Hey Linc,

I want to transfer lots of data between my MacBook Air in India to my Mac Mini in Pennsylvania, United States.

Are you recommending that I 'Connect As...' and/or mount the Mac Mini's folders onto the desktop of my MacBook Air to initiate transfers? If so, Finder invariably fails with this.

Yes, I actually use Transmit and love it. The problem is I don't know how to connect via an FTP client to my Mac Mini server. I tried setting up WebDAV but it seems too complicated. Is there an easy way to use an FTP client like CyberDuck or Transmit to transfer files?

expertise.applications
    Applications

Finder invariably fails with this.

Fails how? What happens?

It takes a long time to start the process, and it sometimes hangs at 'Zero bytes of ... '. If the transfer starts, it fails with an error message. I'll attach that here when I get it on this test transfer of a 10.7.3 DMG. The problem with this method is that if it does fail (it has never succeeded) it can't pick the process back up intelligently like an FTP app such as Transmit etc.

SS- 2012-03-24 at 2.14.16 PM.jpg

• JPM-PL Level 1 Level 1

FTP is not secure. Use SFTP instead.

I do not have Lion Server, but for Lion workstation it is enough to enable "remote login" on System Preferences.

Make sure you can connect to the mini via TCP port 22, I mean make sure the router on the far-end allows connection to the mini on that port (configure port forwarding if nneded).

Regards.

How do I connect to the remote Mac Mini? What address do I use? I'm using Transmit, but I'm unable to connect, even though I have all relevant sharing settings setup correctly. Take a look below.

SS- 2012-03-24 at 2.23.22 PM.jpg

Previous 1 2 3 Next