Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring 10 GB over the internet?

I'd like to transfer large amounts of data over the internet from my MacBook Air to my Mac Mini Server. Both are running 10.7. The Mac Mini Server is running 10.7 Server.

I'd like to transfer 10GB + back to the server. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to setup server to better transfer files this way? Is there a way to setup FTP within OS X Server settings, or is there a way in File Sharing settings that I could accomplish this? Any help would be greatly appreciated! : )

Graham

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 11:22 AM

37 replies

Mar 24, 2012 2:05 PM in response to Psilocybe

I assume that the network connection reliability is your main problem.

I recommend you to use file transfer client which is able to keep the connection and reestablich it in case of failure.

Try CyberDuck FTP/SFTP client. You can get it for free from the homesite http://cyberduck.ch/ or buy it from the App Store.

CyberDuck is quite reliable client. You can set a number of retries along with idle times in case of network failure. I use it regularly as incremental backup of my photos over Inetnet (2-5 GB per session) - no problems.

Cyberduck->Preferences->Connection

User uploaded file

For better performance use SCP protocol for file transfer in CyberDuck->Preferences->SFTP

User uploaded file

Make sure you enabled remote access to your mini via SSH / SCP.

Hope this will help.

Mar 24, 2012 2:17 PM in response to Linc Davis

It takes a long time to start the process, and it sometimes hangs at 'Zero bytes of ... '. If the transfer starts, it fails with an error message. I'll attach that here when I get it on this test transfer of a 10.7.3 DMG. The problem with this method is that if it does fail (it has never succeeded) it can't pick the process back up intelligently like an FTP app such as Transmit etc.

User uploaded file

Mar 24, 2012 2:21 PM in response to Psilocybe

FTP is not secure. Use SFTP instead.

I do not have Lion Server, but for Lion workstation it is enough to enable "remote login" on System Preferences.

Make sure you can connect to the mini via TCP port 22, I mean make sure the router on the far-end allows connection to the mini on that port (configure port forwarding if nneded).

Regards.

Transferring 10 GB over the internet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.