Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I install leopard without a working odd?

Hi,

the Hard drive on my old iMac G5 isight died. A friend of mine gave me his 80gig hard drive (coming from an imac not working anymore, with tiger installed) and I just mounted it on my iMac. Everything works fine again.
So i am going to make a clean install of Leopard. The problem is my optical drive does not work since a long time and it eject my Leopard install dvd.

What options? I have my daughter's macbook available, so I thought to make a disc image of the install dvd.

Is it possible? Or are there other possibilities?

Please help.

I am eagerly waiting for 2012 iMacs, in the meanwhile...

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 12:12 PM

7 replies

Mar 24, 2012 12:19 PM in response to giampiero

You cannot use your Intel Mac to install OS X on a PPC Mac. Replace the optical drive or clone the DVD to an 8 GB or larger USB flash drive. The flash drive must first be partitioned APT and formatted Mac OS Extended, Journaled.

Clone using Restore Option of Disk Utility

1. Open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder.
  2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.
  3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.
  4. Check the box labeled Erase destination.
  5. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it to the Destination entry field.
  6. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to the Source entry field.
  7. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the USB flash drive. Source means the Leopard DVD.

Drive Preparation

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Security button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.

6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to several hours depending upon the drive size.

Mar 24, 2012 1:02 PM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy,

thank you for your very detailed informations.

3 questions before proceeding:

Can I use a HDD USB drive (that is my backup drive) instead of a flash drive?

What does it mean partioned APT?

Re: Drive Preparation. As far as I understand this is my PPC drive. I should set the partition scheme to GUID, but this is to use the disc to start an Intel based computer. Is it Ok?

After your steps I can normally install leopard, right?

Mar 24, 2012 1:19 PM in response to giampiero

For a PPC Mac you need to partition using APT, not GUID. The latter is exclusively for Intel Macs. The USB flash drive installer can be used exactly as you would use the DVD. You would boot from it by restarting the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager appears. Select the icon for the USB flash drive and click on the arrow button to the right.

Mar 26, 2012 5:33 AM in response to Kappy

It did not work.

I cloned the DVD to an USB flash drive as in step 1.

I was not able to make the Drive preparation (step 2) as a Drive containing the OS can't be partitioned.

Plugging in the USB drive (with no drive preparation) I can see the cloned installer, but the install requires a restart and then the USB drive disappears. Same with booting with Option key. The boot manager appears with non icon for USB flash.

I even borrowed an USB optical driver. What I understand is that a PPC Mac needs a Firewire Optical driver to boot from.

Tried also a mac in target disc mode and see if I could use just its optical drive. No way. This mac has Lion and it splits out an older installer Leopard disc.

The only option left is ...zero. I could buy a firewire ODD but this is not an option, as I am saving for 2012 iMacs.

Any idea?

Mar 26, 2012 10:11 AM in response to giampiero

Note when migrating from PowerPC to Intel Macs see this tip:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2295

If you are saving for a 2012 iMac, which technically doesn't exist yet, it likely won't support 10.6.8 or Rosetta. If you are buying a new one before the 2012 iMac is released, you may still be able to call AppleCare for the original 10.6.7 or 10.6.8 installer discs which still support Rosetta. Without Rosetta most of your applications won't work on the new Mac, and you'll have to save for all new upgrades to Universal or Intel versions of your applications. Unless you are certain you have all Universal applications, you may be better off getting a used or refurbished pre-July 20, 2011 Mac*:

http://www.macmaps.com/usedrefurbished.html

This will save you the trouble of having to upgrade the applications until you are ready to install 10.7 which doesn't have Rosetta.

how can I install leopard without a working odd?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.