Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Older Airport extreme model A1034 says "cannot be set up by this... (I'm assuming iphone) since that's what I'm trying to set up. Ever since latest software update 5.1, it will not work with my older base station. any suggestions?

My Older Airport extreme model A1034 says "cannot be set up by this... (I'm assuming iphone) since that's what I'm trying to set up. Ever since latest software update 5.1, it will not work with my older base station. any suggestions? I've tried hard reset on base station, restart on iphone.

MacBook Pro, iPhone

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 2:16 PM

You will need to use AirPort Utility 5.x or 6.0 on a Mac to set up the older base station that you have. The mobile versions of AirPort Utility will only work with newer "n" wireless devices.

If you are running Lion on your MacBook Pro, download and install AirPort Utility 5.6 for Mac OS X Lion

Leopard or Snow Leopard will use AirPort Utility 5.5.3 for Mac

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2012 2:16 PM in response to JeremyMc

You will need to use AirPort Utility 5.x or 6.0 on a Mac to set up the older base station that you have. The mobile versions of AirPort Utility will only work with newer "n" wireless devices.

If you are running Lion on your MacBook Pro, download and install AirPort Utility 5.6 for Mac OS X Lion

Leopard or Snow Leopard will use AirPort Utility 5.5.3 for Mac

Mar 24, 2012 3:03 PM in response to JeremyMc

That sounds like an issue with the 5.1 operating system of the iPhone and iPad.

Suggest that you delete the current connection and then setup a new connection to see if that helps.

On the iPhone or iPad home screen.....

Tap Settings

Tap Wi-Fi

Tap the blue arrow to the right of the network name

Tap Forget this Network

Power off the iPhone

Power it back up

Set up a new connection

If no luck....

If you used the same wireless network name that you have used previously on the AirPort Extreme, you may also need to change the name of the wireless network on the AirPort Extreme. Use a different wireless network name and a different password, then try to set up the iPhone and iPad to the new network.

If still no luck.....best to post over in the iPhone or iPad support area for more info. I am out of ideas.

My Older Airport extreme model A1034 says "cannot be set up by this... (I'm assuming iphone) since that's what I'm trying to set up. Ever since latest software update 5.1, it will not work with my older base station. any suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.