Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can not re-install/ update apple iTunes on my HP PC running Win7-64. I get a registry key error when installing and am asked to make sure I have access. IT is a home PC with one user and I have admin priveledges.

When the updater notified me of an iTunes update, I selected the update option. The update failed and killed the version I was running. I have tried for a year to fix the problem without sucess. I can't completely remove all Apple products. I can not install any apple products especially iTunes which is the only one I am interested in.

When I install iTunes now I get a registry key error similar to this:

User uploaded file

I am using a machine where I am the only user and am the Admin. I have looked at the security settings on this key and see nothing wrond with it or the parent keys. I tried removing all apple products but ran into similar problems. At this time I still have Bonjour. Mobile Device Support, Software Update, and Application Support installed.

iPod touch, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 5:40 PM

6 replies

Mar 24, 2012 6:11 PM in response to bizadvizor

These ones are tricky. But the following instructions are worth a try.

First do a complete uninstall of iTunes and related components (but don't reinstall just yet), as per the following document:

Removing and reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows Vista or Windows 7

a. Launch regedit (Start >> Search Programs and Files >> type Regedit and open the regedit that comes up.)

b. Access the following Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData \S-1-5-18\Components

c. Perform the following actions

i. Right Click on Components Folder

ii. Select Permissions

iii. Select Full Control and Read Permissions options

iv. Select Advanced Button

v. Select Owner Tab

vi. Select to Change Owner to the Administrators

vii. Check the option “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects”

viii. Select OK when prompted that it may not change all.

ix. Select Apply

x. Select Apply again

xi. Exit the Registry Editor

Now try reinstalling iTunes again. Does it go in properly this time?

Mar 24, 2012 8:11 PM in response to b noir

I believe I have attempted these steps in the past; found them on a board. But here is the issue. The registry Problem impacts other Apple products and so I can't do step 0. I can't uninstall the existing Apple apps. I get the same sort of problem. I just get it with registration components applicable to those other apple apps. I went back and checked. I was able to uninstall Bonjour so I just have remaining the App Support and Mobile Device Support products. See error messages below related to attemptpt to uninstall these.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Any suggestions on how to clean them out?

I can not re-install/ update apple iTunes on my HP PC running Win7-64. I get a registry key error when installing and am asked to make sure I have access. IT is a home PC with one user and I have admin priveledges.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.