Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't find iTunes library

I have been using a 2007 MacPro laptop, using OSX 10.6.4 for several years. I have my Itunes library on an external hard drive. I purchased a new MacPro laptop recently with 10.7.3. Both seem to be using Itunes 10.6. When I plug in the external hard drive Itunes doesn't see a library file, and no tunes are shown. I see the lists of files, but can't sync to a library file. I pluged in my Ipod Classic and about 1800 songs are in the new laptop Tunes media folder. But I cant get to the library where some 8000+ tunes, books, podcast's live. When I shift back to the old library no problems are noted. When I shift to the new laptop only the 1800 files it copied from from the Ipod are displayed. I seem to be able to tell it the library is external in advanced preferences, but no library can be found.

How does one get Lion to see the Itunes library on the external drive.

Thanks,

Mark

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 6:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 7:49 PM

mark2542 wrote:

When I plug in the external hard drive Itunes doesn't see a library file, and no tunes are shown. I see the lists of files, but can't sync to a library file.

Is there actually an iTunes library.itl file on the external or is it only the iTunes media folder? Looks like it is only the iTunes media folder. This is not the library.

I seem to be able to tell it the library is external in advanced preferences, but no library can be found.

iTunes prefs Advanced does not tell iTunes where the library is.

It tell siTUnes where the media is to go.

Copy the entire /Music/iTunes folder from old computer to /Music/ on new computer then launch iTunes.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2012 7:49 PM in response to mark2542

mark2542 wrote:

When I plug in the external hard drive Itunes doesn't see a library file, and no tunes are shown. I see the lists of files, but can't sync to a library file.

Is there actually an iTunes library.itl file on the external or is it only the iTunes media folder? Looks like it is only the iTunes media folder. This is not the library.

I seem to be able to tell it the library is external in advanced preferences, but no library can be found.

iTunes prefs Advanced does not tell iTunes where the library is.

It tell siTUnes where the media is to go.

Copy the entire /Music/iTunes folder from old computer to /Music/ on new computer then launch iTunes.

Mar 25, 2012 4:36 PM in response to mark2542

I don't have a desire to use the new laptop as the storage device for Itunes.

Then don't.

Just copy the entire /Music/iTunes folder from old computer to /Music/ on new computer then launch iTunes.

iTunes will use the library files from this folder and use the media files on the external, just as on the other computer.

I might have copy into the new mac, the make a new external file again.

No you won't have to "make a new external file".

Mar 26, 2012 6:11 PM in response to Chris CA

I must not being doing something correctly. I plugged my external drive into the new laptop. I went to the external drive and copied the files from the Itunes Media folder to the new laptop music (In the finder window). folder. It looked like it copied something for about 40 minutes.

On the new laptop the same partial load from my Ipod classic is still present, none of the other 7000 music files seem to be present. Not sure what got copied where but it doesnt show up on the new laptop.

When I plug my external drive into my old laptop I have access to all 8000+ tunes/podcasts/books.

Also when I then turn on my new laptop I can get access to all my files by homesharing. But I am giving the old laptop to my wife and still want to get to mt external hd library.

So the question remains how do I get all my tunes on my external drive to be seen and played by my new laptop.

Sigh....

Thanks

Mark

Can't find iTunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.