Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Import iCal into Lion from Leopard backup

Hi

Any idea how to import iCal from the USB drive backup (of my old G5 which I just sold) into Lion? I'm not sure which files I should bring in from the Library in my old system? Tried to import from ~user/Library/Calendars nothing happened...

Was unable to get migration to see the drive

Thanks

Enio

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 2.66 dual core

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 9:51 PM

1 reply

Mar 24, 2012 10:10 PM in response to Enio Cordoba

Greetings Enio,

You may run into some trouble on this one as I've seen issues jumping calendars from 10.5 to 10.7 without going through 10.6 in between.

Here is what I would try:

1. Create a new Admin user account on your computer (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.7/en/mtusr001.html)
  2. Go into your backup and copy user/Library/Calendars from a date when you are 100% confident that iCal had the data you want from your old computer to the desktop of your current user account.
  3. Put that folder in Macintosh HD > Users > Shared
  4. Log out of your current user (Apple > Log Out)
  5. Login as the new Admin user you created
  6. Go to Macintosh HD > Users > Shared and move the Calendars folder to the desktop of this user account.
  7. Click once on the Calendars folder to highlight it and then go to File > Get Info
  8. At the very bottom of the info pane click the padlock to unlock and then click the gear and choose "Apply to enclosed"
  9. Close the info window.
  10. Hold down the option key on your keyboard and then click on "Go > Library" (Go is at the top of your computer screen)
  11. Move the existing Calendars folder in this location to the trash.
  12. Drag the Calendars folder from the desktop into the Library where the original folder was previously.
  13. Launch iCal and cross your fingers.

If your calendars show up, click on each calendar on the left hand side of iCal one at a time highlighting it's name and then going to File Export > Export and saving the resulting calendar file to the desktop. Once you have them all exported you can put them in Macintosh HD > Users > Shared, log out of this new user account and back into your main account. Drag the files out of Macintosh HD > Users > Shared to your desktop and double-click them to import them one at a time into iCal in your user.

If your calendars do not show up in the new user after taking these steps let us know.

Hope that helps.

How to Import iCal into Lion from Leopard backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.