Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 Questions for Pages users

Hello,

In Pages, whenever I access "Help" and type in a search query, it opens the relevant help topics, but when I open (click on) that topic, it is entirely blank.

Also, is there any way in Pages to Auto page number a document, excluding the title page, but where the numbers start at 1 rather than 2 (ie. you can not have the page number on the title page, but then the page numbers always start as "2" - can that be changed to "1") ??

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time !!

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 10:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 5:03 PM

Hi Damen,

Download the Pages User Guide from the Help Menu. It's easier to use than the Help feature. Very searchable.

Regarding page numbering, Insert a Section Break at the end of the first page. Insert a page number in the header or footer of the second page and set it to begin at 1, using the dialog in the Layout Inspector, Section tab.

Jerry

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2012 5:03 PM in response to DamenS

Hi Damen,

Download the Pages User Guide from the Help Menu. It's easier to use than the Help feature. Very searchable.

Regarding page numbering, Insert a Section Break at the end of the first page. Insert a page number in the header or footer of the second page and set it to begin at 1, using the dialog in the Layout Inspector, Section tab.

Jerry

Mar 26, 2012 4:09 AM in response to DamenS

In Pages, whenever I access "Help" and type in a search query, it opens the relevant help topics, but when I open (click on) that topic, it is entirely blank.

Jerry's advice is spot on and I'd just like to add a little bit more info about the Help application.

My Help app is also entirely blank for quite a few seconds when I access it and type in a search query. This is because it is going to the Internet to update its help topics and to check for topics that match the search terms. If I wait a while, the Help app eventually displays some results.

I wonder if you've a slow Internet connection and it's this that is causing the very long delay when using the Help application.

Mar 26, 2012 4:26 AM in response to Dale Gillard

Unfortunately not - I can leave it open and nothing ever loads (I have tried deleting the "Helper App" .plists etc). My help app will deliver results, but only after you have retyped your search paramaters (ie type your query in the "Pages Help" pulldown menu, which brings up the relevent topics, then click on the relevent topic, then it brings up the helper app which stays blank and you have to retype your search parameters directly into the Helper app (rather than being taken directly to it by clicking on the relevent search result in the Help pulldown menu built into Pages).

I should certainly read the manual, as I have found Pages relatively unintuitive (and I think it's the use of "sections" which I need to bone up on). When I tried creating a "new section" at the end of the first page (just above the footnote bar and after any text) it seems to delete the header on the next (second) page. If I copy the header from the 3rd page and re-enter it back onto on the second page, the header is actually also added to the title page, even though there I created the section break at the end of that page and I cannot delete that title page header without it also being deleted from the second page (which is in a different section).

This problem is absolutely doing my head in and is consistent regardless of whether I check "first page is different" or not ...

wait, unchecking "use previous header/footer" fixes the header appearing on the title page in another section, but I'm not sure why. I definitely need to read the manual, as I am finding this program much more frustrating than any other Apple program I have ever used ! Thanks for your help guys - it's much appreciated !!

Mar 26, 2012 5:30 AM in response to DamenS

DamenS wrote:

Unfortunately not - I can leave it open and nothing ever loads (I have tried deleting the "Helper App" .plists etc). My help app will deliver results, but only after you have retyped your search paramaters (ie type your query in the "Pages Help" pulldown menu, which brings up the relevent topics, then click on the relevent topic, then it brings up the helper app which stays blank and you have to retype your search parameters directly into the Helper app (rather than being taken directly to it by clicking on the relevent search result in the Help pulldown menu built into Pages).

I should certainly read the manual, as I have found Pages relatively unintuitive (and I think it's the use of "sections" which I need to bone up on). When I tried creating a "new section" at the end of the first page (just above the footnote bar and after any text) it seems to delete the header on the next (second) page. If I copy the header from the 3rd page and re-enter it back onto on the second page, the header is actually also added to the title page, even though there I created the section break at the end of that page and I cannot delete that title page header without it also being deleted from the second page (which is in a different section).

This problem is absolutely doing my head in and is consistent regardless of whether I check "first page is different" or not ...

wait, unchecking "use previous header/footer" fixes the header appearing on the title page in another section, but I'm not sure why. I definitely need to read the manual, as I am finding this program much more frustrating than any other Apple program I have ever used ! Thanks for your help guys - it's much appreciated !!

Damen,

Word Processors are complex, and can be confusing. I believe that Word is more difficult to use than Pages, unless you've become so accustomed to Word that anything different seems wrong. Do read the User Guide and things will begin to clear up.

Jerry

Mar 26, 2012 5:36 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

Yes - no argument there. I think I have been spoiled by how intuitive I have found most other Apple software (such that there's really been no need to read a manual). Pages clearly does a few things quite differently to what I've been used to, however I have downloaded the full manual as per your suggestion and will dip in at some stage when I am appropriately "braced" for brainwork and some relatively "dry" reading. Maybe I'll just start with the sections on "sections", "inspector" and the styles draw - hopefully that will be enough for my relatively basic needs. Thanks for all your help !!

2 Questions for Pages users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.