Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 3 dictation bugs

I'm hitting bugs with dictation on the iPad 3. I hit the mic button, it records, and the prints nothing. The error is hit and miss. (it also takes time processing before it prints nothing). Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 11:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 3:16 AM

In your brief description of the process you're using, you don't mention tapping the "Done" button. Are you? Not trying to be snarky but, it's always good to eliminate the obvious first.

Do you have a good network connection? Dictation requires internet access. As I understand it, if you turn off data, the mic disappears. However, if your connection was just a bit flakey, it might cause what you're seeing.

Have you tried resetting your device by pressing and holding the Home button and power button until the silver apple appears?

Best of luck.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2012 3:16 AM in response to ThurfirHawat

In your brief description of the process you're using, you don't mention tapping the "Done" button. Are you? Not trying to be snarky but, it's always good to eliminate the obvious first.

Do you have a good network connection? Dictation requires internet access. As I understand it, if you turn off data, the mic disappears. However, if your connection was just a bit flakey, it might cause what you're seeing.

Have you tried resetting your device by pressing and holding the Home button and power button until the silver apple appears?

Best of luck.

Jan 13, 2013 8:07 AM in response to ThurfirHawat

iPad 3 here. iOS 6.0.1. 32 MB WiFi + 4G. Using wifi now. Similar problem. Dictation works intermittently.

Using the Apple Notepad, dictate a sentence or two. Then go back to reposition the cursor and dictate another sentence or two. The dictation system hangs with the flashing circles, never to return. Dictation lost. Wait 5 or 10 minutes, dictating works again.

Scenario is repeatable about 95% of the time. This has been happening for at least six months. Reported to Apple feedback today.

iPad 3 dictation bugs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.