Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Address Book editing

Mail does not recognize people added in my address book if I edit theyr names:

- From Mail I add the email address of John Doe in Address Book.

- The email address is something like mickeymouse@something.

- His card in Address Book has a nickname ("Mickey Mouse") instead the real name .

- I edit his card with the real name (John Doe).

When I receive a second email from him, the name that appears is always Mickey Mouse and Mail does not recognize him as a known person: the rules doesn't work and when I click on his name to see his card i find the option "add to Address Book".

How can I fix it?

Thanks in advance

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 12:31 AM

2 replies

Mar 25, 2012 3:47 AM in response to Cagi

If John Doe has configured his e-mail client with the "real name" Mickey Mouse, then all his e-mail will come with that name on the From line, and there's nothing you can do to change that. That should not affect the behavior of rules, however, unless your rule depends on more than just the e-mail address. What exactly does your rule do? Can you provide a screenshot (with any real names and addresses replaced with aliases)?

Mar 25, 2012 5:14 AM in response to thomas_r.

Thanks Thomas for Reply.

I use my computer for Home & Work and the Contacts are sync'ed via iCloud on many devices.

Is it really impossible to give priority to my Address Book contact name instead of the sender (nick)name?

I like to have a clear, readable Address Book where John Doe appears "John Doe" and not "Mickey Mouse".

(The nickname example is only one of the different situations I find: in fact, many, many, many people writes their own Name and Family Name in the same string, or in inverted position, or uses nicknames, and tons of different misconfigurations)

I organize my contact in groups like "Friends", "Customers" etc.

On Mail there are some rules based on groups, like "If the mail comes from a sender that is member of the group Customers move it to a specific folder".

If I have a correctly edited John Doe card in the Customers group and the next mail I receive is identified as Mickey Mouse, that mail is not recognized to be from John Doe, an existing member of my Customers group, but from a new person called Mickey Mouse

If I have the telephone number of John Doe in my Address Book and then I add on his card the email address happens the same.

Address Book editing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.