Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Store GPS co-ordinates in iPhone 4S contacts

Hi,

I have tried saving the GPS co-ordinates to my contacts in my iPhone 4S but does not work. The problem is it is stored as the postal address,"5th cross, 10th main" and so on and their are several locations with similar postal address. I would instead like to store the GPS co-ordinates itself in the contacts.

Bye,

Vatu

iPhone 4S

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 12:46 AM

4 replies

Apr 25, 2012 10:52 AM in response to Vatu

You can add an address field and put the coordinates into the Street entry using the xxx.xxxx, (-) xxx.xxxx decimal format with NOTHING else in the contact and it will look it up properly from OSX (Mac) Address book when you LEFT click on the address title (home, work, custom, etc) and select "Map this Address".

Unfortunately, when this is synced to iOS mobile devices, they add the default country name your address book is set for, which means when you select the GPS coordinates, it goes to Maps and shows the wrong location.

Within Maps, however, you can then delete the country (which fouls it up, even if it is the correct country) and the coordinates will show you the correct location. I have not found a way to delete the country default entry in iOS.

After much searching, my conclusion is that iOS needs an update to allow for a blank country code or a field addition specifically for GPS coordinates.

Jan 12, 2015 1:01 AM in response to Vatu

Workaround for Mac owners [I've not tested a Windows equivalent]

Add the co-ordinates in Contacts on the Mac, it doesn't insist on a Country & will then work correctly on the iPhone so long as you never edit it on the phone.

If you do, you will have to delete the address & add again from the Mac, just clearing the country from the Mac doesn't appear to reset it correctly.

Store GPS co-ordinates in iPhone 4S contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.