Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

assistant migration

Trying to transfer old files and whatnot from an old Powerbook G4 to a new Macbook Air; the latter tells me to activate 'assistant migration' in the utilities of the old mac, but I can't find it (the G4 is running on OS 10.3.9!). Thanks --

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 4:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 8:42 AM

hello. have you tried the setup assistant? if i recall, that pops up when you're setting up the new machine and asks if you want to move stuff from one to another. maybe you can try and re-set up the machine to get that prompt.

another way might be instead of using migration assistant, maybe you can move files from the time machine or whatever your backup is, and move those files that you need rather than try to copy the entire thing.

or do what i do...head to the Genius Bar at apple and have them guide you. good luck.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2012 8:42 AM in response to scott2b

hello. have you tried the setup assistant? if i recall, that pops up when you're setting up the new machine and asks if you want to move stuff from one to another. maybe you can try and re-set up the machine to get that prompt.

another way might be instead of using migration assistant, maybe you can move files from the time machine or whatever your backup is, and move those files that you need rather than try to copy the entire thing.

or do what i do...head to the Genius Bar at apple and have them guide you. good luck.

Mar 25, 2012 9:18 AM in response to jen10021

Thanks for the quick answer! I did try those things, and am still stuck. Have learned since that it was the migration assistant on the new machine that I needed to get running, but still can't get the MB Air running on Lion to recognize my G4 running on 10.3.9. I don't use time machine, so I'm starting to transfer individual folders via a flash drive, but obviously it will be more complicated to move applications, stuff in libraries, etc.

Will take your advice and try and get myself to a Genius Bar...

Mar 25, 2012 8:45 PM in response to scott2b

scott2b wrote:

. . .

still can't get the MB Air running on Lion to recognize my G4 running on 10.3.9.

You can't migrate from Panther (or Tiger) via network.

And you can't use FireWire, either, since MBAs don't have FireWire ports.

But if you have a "clone" backup of the G4 on an external HD, you can migrate from that.

I'm starting to transfer individual folders via a flash drive, but obviously it will be more complicated to move applications, stuff in libraries, etc.

It's extremely unlikely that any of your 3rd-party apps that run on Panther will work on Lion. You'll need replacements for them.

Mar 26, 2012 6:37 AM in response to scott2b

You really need to keep a backup so you don't lose your important stuff. This being the case, you can buy a USB drive and use SuperDuper to make a clone backup. The link I provided will take you to MacUpdate, a trusted download site, where you can download the newest version for your new computer (if you want to use it) and an older version for you G4. Use the older version to clone your G4 notebook and then Migration Assistant to migrate your data. Since the G4 has software you won't be able to run on the new computer don't bother migrating your applications.

Once you are satisfied Migration Assistant has worked, you can erase the external drive and begin using it for the MBA TimeMachine backups.

assistant migration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.