Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine stuck in preparing backup...

I've read most of the older posts and suggestions posted here, and have let it run for approximately 15 hours overnight, but it is still not progressing past the "Preparing for backup" phase.

I am on the latest version of Lion (10.7.3) and my last backup ran 18 days ago on March 7th. I am attempting to backup over an Ethernet connection to my Time Capsule, which I've been using to backup for 3 years or so. The Time Capsule is full, but this hasn't been a problem until this recent issue.

Any suggestions on how to break this free or troubleshoot for potential hardware issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

Time Capsule 802.11n (1st Gen), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 7:14 AM

24 replies

Mar 25, 2012 7:26 AM in response to vtgill

For more assistance, I installed the Time Machine Buddy widget, and I get the following for the current backup that's trying to run.

Starting standard backup

Attempting to mount network destination URL: afp://Chris%20&%20Brooke%20Gillman@Lillys-Time-Capsule.local/Lilly's%20Time%20C apsule

Mounted network destination at mountpoint: /Volumes/Lilly's Time Capsule using URL: afp://Chris%20&%20Brooke%20Gillman@Lillys-Time-Capsule.local/Lilly's%20Time%20C apsule

QUICKCHECK ONLY; FILESYSTEM CLEAN

Disk image /Volumes/Lilly's Time Capsule/Chris & Brooke Gillman’s iMac.sparsebundle mounted at: /Volumes/Backup of Chris & Brooke Gillman’s iMac

Backing up to: /Volumes/Backup of Chris & Brooke Gillman’s iMac/Backups.backupdb

Error writing to backup log. NSFileHandleOperationException:*** -[NSConcreteFileHandle writeData:]: No space left on device

Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: Macintosh HD

Error writing to backup log. NSFileHandleOperationException:*** -[NSConcreteFileHandle writeData:]: No space left on device

Exception writing exclusions cache. NSFileHandleOperationException:*** -[NSConcreteFileHandle writeData:]: No space left on device

Unable to create exclusions cache dat

Mar 25, 2012 10:20 AM in response to vtgill

vtgill wrote:

. . .

The TC's internal HD is chock-full. There's not even enough room for it to start the (hidden) log it keeps for each backup.

Do you have other data on the TC's internal HD, besides your backups? If so, copy something elsewhere temporarily and delete it (a few dozen MBs should be enough).

If not, try manually "compacting" the sparse bundle, per the pink box in Time Machine - Frequently Asked Question #12. If that doesn't help, delete your oldest backup per the earlier part of that same link, then compact it again.

EDIT: If you do have other data on the TC, see #Q3 in Using Time Machine with a Time Capsule for some possible ways to avoid this happening again.

Message was edited by: Pondini

Mar 25, 2012 10:42 AM in response to Pondini

Thanks, I was able to free up 150 MB or so by deleting some files I'd been storing on the Time Capsule when using it as a network drive. The backup still doesn't seem to be starting, even with this change. Is there a way I can manually delete some off my older backups (back to 2010) to free up more space?

Mar 25, 2012 10:46 AM in response to vtgill

vtgill wrote:

Thanks, I was able to free up 150 MB or so by deleting some files I'd been storing on the Time Capsule when using it as a network drive. The backup still doesn't seem to be starting, even with this change.

It will start, figure out there isn't enough room, compact the sparse bundle, then restart. Then it will begin deleting your oldest backup(s) to make room as/if necessary. Seems rather slow, but it should do what it needs to. Connect via Ethernet cable if at all possible -- it will still be slow, but 2-3 times faster than via WIFI.

Is there a way I can manually delete some off my older backups (back to 2010) to free up more space?

Yes, but it's tedious and time-consuming. See Time Machine - Frequently Asked Question #12.

Mar 25, 2012 10:55 AM in response to Pondini

Thanks, it seems like the log is capturing a different set of activity. Maybe this is it compacting the sparse bundle as you suggested. Does this log file look right? If so, I'l assume I just need to let it run for a few hours at this point before deciding that it isn't working properly. Only one comment in the log looks problematic "Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: Macintosh HD."

I am connected to the Time Capsule over Ethernet (but through an Airport Extreme) so hopefully that speeds things along.

Starting standard backup

Network destination already mounted at: /Volumes/Lilly's Time Capsule

Disk image already attached: /Volumes/Lilly's Time Capsule/Chris & Brooke Gillman’s iMac.sparsebundle, DIHLDiskImageAttach returned: 35

Disk image /Volumes/Lilly's Time Capsule/Chris & Brooke Gillman’s iMac.sparsebundle mounted at: /Volumes/Backup of Chris & Brooke Gillman’s iMac

Backing up to: /Volumes/Backup of Chris & Brooke Gillman’s iMac/Backups.backupdb

Waiting for index to be ready (100)

Mar 25, 2012 11:02 AM in response to vtgill

vtgill wrote:

Thanks, it seems like the log is capturing a different set of activity. Maybe this is it compacting the sparse bundle as you suggested.

No, not yet -- it hasn't gotten far enough.

Only one comment in the log looks problematic "Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: Macintosh HD."

That's normal, under these circumstances. It just means that TM isn't sure that what's on your last backup matched your system (at the time); so it will have to do a "deep scan," comparing everything on your Mac to the backups, to figure that out. But it can't even do that, yet, because the backups need to be indexed first.

You'll see one of those every minute until the indexing is done; then a message about the "deep scan," then (a while later) one saying the scan is done, then (a while later) how much space is needed and available. Then if there isn't enough room, it will unmount the sparse bundle and compact it, etc.

If the indexing continues for a very long time, the index itself may be damaged. If so, post back and we'll work on that.

Are you connected via Ethernet all the way? From your Mac to the Airport to the Time Capsule?

Message was edited by: Pondini

Mar 25, 2012 12:32 PM in response to vtgill

vtgill wrote:

Backup has almost completed, status is currently "Cleaning up old backups...",

Maybe not -- it may be doing that to make room; if it doesn't, it will stop and restart itself.

Just keep an eye on it, via the widget; it may go through all sorts of gyrations (incuding another deep scan), but should finish eventually.

so things are looking up, and things are definitely unstuck. Looks like the problem was the fullness of my TC and the fact that part of the reason it was so full was data that had not been placed there by TM.

Yes, exactly. Normally, TM will leave enough room for the next backup to get started -- it creates an "in.Progress" package, a hidden backup log and a hidden exclusion list, before it figures out how much space it needs, and whether it has to delete old backups. So it's a bit of an excruciating process on a network backup (but much improved over Leopard and Snow Leopard).

The trick, obviously, is not to put so much of the other stuff there that the next backup can't get started. Once this is all sorted out, take a look at #Q3 in Using Time Machine with a Time Capsule.

Apr 1, 2012 1:18 PM in response to Pondini

I ran into the same issue after upgrading my macbook pro from Leopard to Lion. It was stuck in the message "preparing the backup..." for hrs. If you dont care about the backups and have all the data on machine, simply removing the whole backup from backup disk was faster for me. I started the backup afresh.I feel its a use case thats missed out by Apple when moving across OSs, Lion wasnt able to honor the last backup info to resume.

Apr 7, 2012 10:13 AM in response to Pondini

GREAT PONDINI - please help!

I'm having a similar issue. I'm currently tracking my progress in the widget, and I have the following so far:

Starting standard backup

Attempting to mount network destination URL: afp://Ross%20@Ross-Time-Capsule.local/Data

Mounted network destination at mountpoint: /Volumes/Data-1 using URL: afp://Ross@Ross-Time-Capsule.local/Data

QUICKCHECK ONLY; FILESYSTEM CLEAN

Disk image /Volumes/Data-1/Ross’s MacBook Pro.sparsebundle mounted at: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups

Backing up to: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb

Waiting for index to be ready (101)

See how there is a 101 mixed in there? Is that something to be concerned about? I've been having issues with it being "stuck on preparing backup" for weeks now. I've tried almost everything on your website (except for deleting my entire Sparse bundle). Now, I'm following along with the advice you provided above. Should I just let this process keep on going? How long should I let it "wait for index" before I realize there is a problem?

Thanks!

Apr 7, 2012 11:08 AM in response to Ross Sheingold

Ross Sheingold wrote:

. . .

That's a notice that Time Machine isn't sure the previous backup completed normally, or there have been too many changes, so it can't use the quick method (a hidden log of changes that OSX keeps on each drive) to figure out what's changed and needs to be backed-up. This may or may not indicate a problem; see #A6 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting for details on some of the common messages.

. . .

See how there is a 101 mixed in there? Is that something to be concerned about?

No; it's more the fact that there are a number of them, which means the backups had to be indexed. If the previous backup failed or was cancelled, that's not too unusual.

If you see many of them on every backup, there may be a problem with the index.

Deep event scan at path:/ reason:must scan subdirs|new event db|

Finished scan

That's the process TM had to use instead of the quick method above. It compared every file on your system to the backups. Now it's preparing it's list of items to be backed-up, and figureing out how much space that will take. Then it will see if there's enough room on your Time Capsule for the backup, and either make space or start backing-up.

What you should see next is a "xxx GB required (including padding); yyy GB available" message. The xxx is about 20% larger than the estimated size of the backup. If xxx is larger than yyy, of course, there isn't enough room, so it will have to dismount and "compact" the sparse bundle to recover space, then mount it again to see if that made enough room. If not it will begin deleting old backups.

If you're not connected via Ethernet cable, do so -- it's still a slow process, but will be 2-3 times faster than via WIFIl.

It's hard to tell what's going on, much less what to do about it, until we see that next message. If it's been a while since the last competed backup, xxx is likely to be fairly sizeable.

Apr 7, 2012 11:52 AM in response to Pondini

Yeah, it's been a while, so the number will likely be VERY large. I've done the manual compression via terminal, but it only saved around 250mb out of a 94gb backup.

Anyway, it's been over an hour and the latest message is still

Finished scan

I will update when something new occurs. Thanks so much for all of your help! Is there somewhere I can donate to help keep your website running - you're such a helpful resource for Time Machine and Time Capsule users!

Apr 7, 2012 12:32 PM in response to Ross Sheingold

Ross Sheingold wrote:

. . .

Anyway, it's been over an hour and the latest message is still

Finished scan

That's not a good sign. 😟

Have you tried the things in the green box of #D2 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting? Some of them can be done while a backup is running.

And/or, look back with the TM Buddy widget to a previous backup attempt. You'll probably see most of the same stuff, but if there's anything of interest after the "xxx GB required ..." message, copy and post it here. A clue may be lurking there.

Time Machine stuck in preparing backup...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.