Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extremely slow download from Itunes store when on NAS

Hi All,

Since the latest Itunes update 10.6 I've been experiencing extremely slow download from the store. Set up is as follows (with all the latest firmware and software upgrades done on everything)

ITunes DB and XML locally stored on HDD

Itunes Media Folder stored on NAS DNS-323

DNS 323 NAS hardwired to network by 1000 Gb LAN Connection

Cabled Internet connection at 60Mbps

There is no issue running Itunes from the NAS to MAC / APPLETV and other devices across the network wirelessly or hardwired, except when downloading purchases from the ITunes Store. One HD tv show takes 4 hours to download and averages 1Mbps speed.

After running some test with various configuration it seems that the fact that the Downloads folder located within the ITunes Media folder (now stored on the NAS) is causing the poor download speed. When the Download folder is local on a HDD it's got no problem reaching 60Mbps.

Unfortunately there is no way to tell ITunes to keep the Downloads folder local and the ITunes Media folder on NAS, it always stays within the Itunes Media folder no matter where this folder is located.

Permitting Itunes to keep the Downloads folder locally while downloading files and transferring the files to the ITunes Media folder (wherever it's located) once it's fully downloaded might be the simple solution to this common problem.

How about testing this out Apple!

MAC Pro 8 Core 3 GHz Xeon 12GB Ram, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 7:24 AM

15 replies

Apr 30, 2012 11:19 AM in response to JMartinD

I have an external GoFlex 2TB drive that I have just connected wirelessly through my router last weekend. After transferring everything over to the GoFlex I noticed that any updates to songs such as titles, genre, year, album art...... takes long to update and sometimes even unresponsive. Never had this problem before the transfer to the GoFlex. My setup maybe a bit more basic then some that I have read here but it seems the slow down to the external drives are what we all have in common.

I haven't tried to download anything from the iTunes store yet. I'll post here when I do.

I hope apple fixes this.

Apr 30, 2012 2:24 PM in response to JMartinD

Same situation as you pasqualito except I just unplug the NAS from the network when I want to download from the store... This reverts back to default Itunes Media Folder on the Mac allowing full download speed from the Itunes Store. When download is completed I shut off Itunes plug the NAS back into the network reopen Itunes which now defaults back to the NAS Itunes Media folder and use the finder to move the downloaded file to the Automatically add to Itunes folder on the NAS.. Erase the one on the Mac and remove from the Itunes list the duplicate file created when downloaded from the Itunes store....

😠 Truly a pain in the !@#%$!#$? but at least files downloaded from Itunes store don't take endless hours to get...

I have over a 1TB of stuff in my Itunes Media folder... How the heck does Apple expect users to store big libraries on their local hard drive ?!?

Itunes really needs to properly handle these large libraries over the network !

May 23, 2012 8:01 PM in response to JMartinD

I have some information to add to this. I've been seeing these problems for quite some time since I started downloading in HD. My library is rather large so I too decided to use another drive. My case is different though I have and extra 2 TB internal drive and my media folder is on it. This rules out all Wifi, network, or USB bottlenecks as a cause of the problem. I have noted a few oddities about this behavior and I will mention them here although I am not sure what they mean.

1. If I set up a long list of downloads it seems to crawl on all downloads. If I kill the "apple push" process the top two seem to speed up. I have to maintain the list and only enable two downloads at a time to get anywhere near reasonble speeds but this method is great for one or two downloads at a time.

2. I was curious about this problem after watching it download for hours on a 24MBPS connection for just a few shows. When I did yet another search I finally found this thread so I thought checking something out might be interesting. I set up some HD movies to download on my secondary system that only has one hard drive. Although not at full speed they began downloading much faster. Three movies are all downloading on the single drive system faster than the one alone on the system with the Itunes media folder on a different drive.

Both systems are hard wired to the internet.

Finding this thread made me very curious I was wondering if there would be a performance boost if I uninstalled Itunes, and re-installed it on the media drive. I really wanted that drive to be storage only but it makes me wonder if it would give different results or the same problem from not being on the OS drive.

Both systems are running Windows 7, and both are able to download streaming content, large files, or movies from other sites relatively instantly.

Nov 24, 2013 8:24 PM in response to JMartinD

This worked for me. 54 hours for iTunes to download a 5.4GB HD movie to my WD 2TB MyBook NAS using wired ethernet turned into 27 minutes to download to my iMac HDD, plus 25 minutes to file transfer it over to the crappy WD NAS. Less than an hour total.

Something is SERIOUSLY BROKEN with how iTunes + OSX is moving data around.

Mar 18, 2014 2:53 PM in response to FearlessTiger84

In my case, the problem was the performance of the WD MyBook Live NAS, which was worse than terrible. I replaced it with an external USB drive connected to an always-on iMac, which manages the sharing. Problem solved.

My suggestion to people is to stay away from inexpensive NAS boxes unless all you use them for is email and/or small documents. They are not up to the job of media server.

Mar 18, 2014 7:38 PM in response to WGQ

NAS or not. I have an secondary drive. two drives actually, that are in a raid 0. Western Digital Black drives. When downloading from the iTunes store it only downloads around 15-20Mbps. I have a 50Mbps x 5Mbps Internet connection. When I change the location of the Media folder to my solid state drive which has the OS on it (Win 8) It will download at 50Mbps+. The problem isn't the hard drive or drives, nor the hard drive controller. It is the software iTunes. This is a fact and i can test this on many Windows 7 and 8 Machines. For instance i can download Steam games to my RAID 0 drives at full speed. When it comes to iTunes, its a no go. Figure it out iTunes!

Jan 15, 2016 8:42 AM in response to WGQ

Well, I'm experiencing the same problem and I'm far from having an inexpensive NAS. I'm connected to an 8gb fiber channel SAN and it's still ridiculously slow. If I set the media path back to its original position, it works just fine and downloads are fast. So, the only way I found to copy my movies to my external drive is to download them on my main hard drive, move them over to the SAN and change the path back to my SAN and then go to Files -> Library -> Organize Library, check Consolidate Files and hit OK.

Also, I want to point out that transferring files from my hard drive to my NAS from Finder is extremely fast. I can move the entire movie in less than 30 seconds. The connection to the SAN is not the issue.

Extremely slow download from Itunes store when on NAS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.