Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recover erased free disk

Hi,

I am having a problem with my disk space as I recently, by mistake, used the erase free disk space feature in Disk Utility, "loosing" in the process around 30 gb.

Is there a way to reverse this process and reclaim the lost free disk space (without having to backup all the data and restore the entire system? I've checked a lot of forums but wasn't able to find a solution

I appreciate your time.

Ricpinto.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 10:45 AM

Use a tool such as OmniDiskSweeper to explore your volume and find out what's taking up the space.

Proceed further only if the problem hasn't been solved.

ODS can't see the whole filesystem when you run it just by double-clicking; it only sees files that you have permission to read. To really see everything, you have to run it as root.

First, back up all data if you haven't already done so. No matter what happens, you should be able to restore your system to the state it was in at the time of that backup.

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the page that opens.

Drag or copy – do not type – the following line into the Terminal window, then press return:

sudo /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniDiskSweeper

You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning not to screw up.

I don't recommend that you make a habit of this. Don't delete anything while running ODS as root. When you're done with it, quit it and also quit Terminal.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2012 10:45 AM in response to ricpinto

Use a tool such as OmniDiskSweeper to explore your volume and find out what's taking up the space.

Proceed further only if the problem hasn't been solved.

ODS can't see the whole filesystem when you run it just by double-clicking; it only sees files that you have permission to read. To really see everything, you have to run it as root.

First, back up all data if you haven't already done so. No matter what happens, you should be able to restore your system to the state it was in at the time of that backup.

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the page that opens.

Drag or copy – do not type – the following line into the Terminal window, then press return:

sudo /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniDiskSweeper

You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning not to screw up.

I don't recommend that you make a habit of this. Don't delete anything while running ODS as root. When you're done with it, quit it and also quit Terminal.

Mar 25, 2012 11:22 AM in response to Linc Davis

I followed your recomendation copying the command to Terminal. The message "OCCCrashCatcher: Not enabling crash catching since we're connected to a tty (and thus presumably in gdb)" appeared and OmniDiskSweeper openned.

Even so, the problem still persists as my Macintosh HD shows less (at OmniDiskSweeper Drive List) 30gb (in total) than it was supposed to. It shows 370gb when it should be 399gb. Although the values are normal when I check them at Finder (Macintosh HD icon info).

Probably I'm incorrect but it seems that these 30gb have disappeared and I'm no longer available to use them again.

I've already used OmniDiskSweeper a few times and I can't find any files or apps that explain the use of this space.

Mar 25, 2012 12:40 PM in response to ricpinto

my Macintosh HD shows less (at OmniDiskSweeper Drive List) 30gb (in total) than it was supposed to. It shows 370gb when it should be 399gb. Although the values are normal when I check them at Finder (Macintosh HD icon info).

It sounds as if you are referring to the total capacity of the volume. If free space were being taken up by hidden items, it should not affect that value,

If you are referring to an apparent 30GB discrepancy in total capacity between OmniDiskSweeper's Drive List report and Finder's Get Info report, that does not represent a true difference. That discrepancy is about 7% of the total, and in my system all of the disk space parameters - total capacity, used space, and available (free) space are reported about 7% smaller in OmniDiskSweeper's Drive List window as compared Finder's Get Info window:

User uploaded file

The reason for this is presumably that the GB units are different! OS X changed to a smaller "decimal" unit of measurement as of Snow Leopard, and a decimal GB (gigabyte) is about 7% smaller than the binary GB used previously, and which apparently is still being used by OmniDiskSweeper. The binary unit is more properly called GiB (gibibyte) to tell it apart.

For my "Lacie Lion 2" boot disk above, the Terminal command

df -H /

gives "gigabytes"

-----------------

Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on

/dev/disk1s3 159G 110G 49G 70% /

---------------------

which is as reported in Get Info

whereas the Terminal command

df -h /

gives "gibibytes"

-------------------

Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on

/dev/disk1s3 148Gi 102Gi 45Gi 70% /

--------------------

which is as reported by OmniDiskSweeper

Mar 25, 2012 1:06 PM in response to jsd2

Ok, it makes sense the descripancy between the values in OmniDiskSweeper and Macintosh HD info.

Actually now I believe the problem is solved. It initially appeared because I was running out of space in my disk. After deleting some files the available space wasn't changing and that was when I noticed that my free disk space was getting "eaten" (after erasing by mistake the free disk space in Disk Utility).

But now I already have free space (????) not knowing why.

Thank you guys for the help.

Recover erased free disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.