Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I change my 'From' email address?

Hello all,

I am hoping to change my 'From' email address in Mail.app in Lion. I have my own SMTP credentails to use my own domain email address in gmail. I would love to use this same 'from' address in Mail.app, but I cannot work out how this works. Is this possible? I want to stop having my Gmail address being shown when I use Mail.app.

Ideally, this would also work in the Mail app in iOS. 🙂

I know that I cannot use my own domain email in iCloud, so for now I must continue to use Gmail.

I would love to hear the experiences of powerusers in Mail.app on Lion.

Best,

Nicholas

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 9:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 9:36 AM

iMail>Preferences>Accounts>Account Information>Email Address

Make change here,

or add another email address to the list seperated by comma, this will give you a drop down menu to choose which address you want in From field.

20 replies

Jan 20, 2017 5:20 AM in response to nicholas.he

The information marked 'solved' has changed slightly in newer versions of MacOS.

Go to 'Mail > Preferences' (not 'Mail > Accounts')

Within 'Preferences', select 'Accounts'

Click on the icon of the account you want to add the "From Address' to (in the pane on the left)

Select the 'Account Information' tab

Select the 'Alias' drop down

Select 'Edit Aliases'

Mar 25, 2012 9:52 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you lerodouglas,

That's a great pro tip to use the comma to add a new email address, I haven't seen that mentioned! 🙂

Another thing for others to know is that for this to work is that the SMTP settings have to be correct in the 'Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)' settings at the bottom of the email Accounts section. Also, that your email username for your SMTP settings may not be the same as your outgoing email address.

Best,

Nicholas

Mar 13, 2015 5:16 AM in response to nicholas.he

Hello Nicholas.he!

Thank you for your previous reply, I know that is old conversation, but still I have the same problem.

I've done all you mentioned, I even see two emails now to chose from, but still when I send email from my new custom email, the recipient gets it from my old one (hotmail)..

You said this (below) - can you please specify a little bit for me? Thank you!

Another thing for others to know is that for this to work is that the SMTP settings have to be correct in the 'Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)' settings at the bottom of the email Accounts section. Also, that your email username for your SMTP settings may not be the same as your outgoing email address.

Regards,

Alex

Oct 2, 2015 4:09 AM in response to nicholas.he

Hello,

It seems that this solution (adding an email address separated with a comma) does not work anymore in OS X 11/ El Capitan ... Can anyone confirm this? I installed El Capitan yesterday and now note I've lost the dropdown menu. Trying to add an e-mail with the described procedure does not work anymore. Any help very welcome! Thanks.

Jan

++++ update ++++

Just after writing this comment I returned to Apple Mail and now everything is normal. Weird.

I assume some latency in updating my preferences (gmail server?) may have been the problem.

Oct 23, 2015 10:43 AM in response to Kiks73

In El Capitan this behaviour has changed, and it caught me out at first too because it doesn't migrate your previously comma separated options in to the new format.

What you have to do now is set up Aliases - which are in the drop down box just above the Email Address setting. In the drop down select 'Edit Aliases...' which opens a window in which you can enter as many aliases as you want, and also set the sender name for each one - an improvement on the previous behaviour. Once you have clicked OK on that window, just select the alias that you want to be the default sender and it will fill in your Email Address and Full Name from your selected Alias.

Much better functionality and quite easily discoverable once you get away from the mindset of how it was done in previous versions of Mail!

Hope that helps.

Adam.

Dec 21, 2015 8:32 AM in response to John Sunier

John, I too had issue with this until figuring out the following solution.

1) In the Mail client go to Preferences

2) Verify that Accounts are set up as desired, in this example let's have two accounts set up

3) Go to the Composing tab

4) Under the "Addressing" section, ensure that "Account of selected mailbox" is selected

5) Exit out of Preferences

6) Find the "Mailboxes" tab below the "Get Mail" and "Compose Mail" icons and click it to expand Mailboxes that reflect what is set up in #2 above

7a) Click inbox of account 1

8a) Compose new message

9a) Send new message

The email sent will go from inbox selected; in this case account 1.

7b) Click inbox of account 2

8b) Compose new message

9b) Send new message

The email sent will go from inbox selected; in this case account 2.

Hopefully the issue has already been solved but just in case maybe this will help either you or someone else as it may be quite frustrating to figure out! Happy holidays!

- Matt B

Jan 7, 2016 3:59 PM in response to mblocker78

Hello everybody,

I'm experiencing same strange behavior. Just today I noticed that when I write a new mail I can't choose sender (I've got 3 different email accounts). Field "From" (with drop-down menu) has been removed.

In "Mail->Preferences->Composing->Addressing->Send new messages from" it's set to "Account of selected mailbox". No other items are listed.

I'm not able to set that option again. Before I could choose field From.

Can you help me?

Many thanks

Max

Mar 8, 2016 4:54 AM in response to nicholas.he

El Capitan Mail9.2 (3112).

Hi,

I am also looking for a solution to this. The 'From' box says (in my case) <myname@icloud.com> I either want it: empty ; just with my name ; or preferably my name with the email address of my own domain name : Henry B.... <myname@mydomainname.com>. Having one email address saves me the trouble of telling everyone I have changed my email address, if I change my internet provider. One day I may ditch Mail !

I have tried everything above and Mail in the end just forces me to use either @iCloud.com or @me.com.

Having a 'Reply to' line in the email is only a part solution.

Having looked at the Mail folder in my Library I see various .plists etc. that have the email addresses and Aliases written. Is it possible to change these to get the result that I and others want as I cant see how even with the instructions above (that seem to have been squashed by Apple).

Really hope someone can help.

Henry

Mar 25, 2016 4:06 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks everyone - all your answers gave me a huge clue. What I found in my case, is that my husband's name was coming up which was odd. I checked iCloud, my apple account name and finally went into my:

1. System Pref's
  2. My Admin account (me)
  3. Clicked on "CONTACTS CARD" and BOOM - it was pointing to a newly made card for my husband. Weird!
  4. In the Contact (Address Book) App - I deleted that card (no info on it, just husbands name), found my own card.
  5. With my card highlighted I chose Card -> Make this my card.
  6. SOLVED!
  7. Everything updated instantly with my own name.

Thanks all!

Apr 12, 2016 10:56 AM in response to Aitchb65

I was having this same problem, the "from" option disappeared in drafting emails. I just went on my email accounts and deauthorized all of them except my main one, then I looked in Accounts/Composing and saw that the email listed to send from was the main one I use. Before it was only the iCloud email. I then went back and authorized the iCloud email and went back to accounts/composing and in the drop down box both emails were there! I began to compose an email and the from box was back with the choices. It took me several attempts at various things in this chain and none work. I think the key is to get the Composing tab in Accounts to list all your emails and then leave the selection "the account selected." Do not select one in that box, you will then get the drop down.

May 8, 2016 8:51 PM in response to nicholas.he

Hi everyone

So i've been at this for a number of days now and i cant figure out what the f*%k i'm doing wrong haha

Ive setup a new business email address. I've added the email using the comma-separated method. When i send a new email via the new email address it is still coming up as sent be the old email address.

Ive been fowling Nicholas blog but i'm having trouble understanding the paragraph below?? Can anyone explain this in more depth

Can I change my 'From' email address?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.