Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weak wifi signal with Lion

Dear all,

I have been experimenting problems with my wireless connection for two months, since I have passed to OSX Lion.

I have been searching for some feedbacks about the same problems on the web. It seems to me that many people have experimented a "constantly dropping wifi" since they have passed to Lion.

This is not my case, however: my problem is that, with Lion, the signal of my wifi is very very weaker (in terms of dBm) with respect to the same signal registered by my mac with snow leopard (and by windows and androids). Just to make an example, four meters away from my router the signal is about -50 if seen on my pc, -80 if seen by my mac (with a constant noise of -96). This is not normal.

I did not succeed in finding solutions, since the problems with the dropping wifi seem to obscure in some sense my problem and so I do not know what can I do. Of course, I could down-grade to Snow Leopard, but I paid for Lion and it is good for many reasons, so I am wondering if there are solutions.

I am sorry if someone else has already asked for the same assistance and I was not able to find the discussion out.

Of course, I thank you in advance for any help.

Here are some details on my hardware-software and some attempts I have already performed.

I have a macbook 13,3 2,16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, late 2007 (A1181).

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50b)

Attempts: Looking for solutions on the web, I have already performed the following tasks:

- update software

- reset router

- reset wireless card

- reset PRAM
- reset SMC

- delete all airport passwords and profiles

- create another connectivity profile

- rename wifi

- try with other wifis

- change channels on the router

- change router

- put "wi-fi" on the top of the column in the connectivity window

- install a native copy of snow leopard (the signal is normal, id est it is as good as windows gains)

- install a native copy of lion (the signal is very bad, so the problem IS Lion, not "my system with lion")

- recover IO80211Family.kext from an old (working) backup of snow leopard, install it with kext wizard, repair permissions and rebuilding kext cache. Not working.

That's all, folks.

Thank you!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 9:36 AM

There are no replies.

Weak wifi signal with Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.