Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buying a used MacBook Pro, things to look out for?

Hey, I'm thinking of buying a used MacBook Pro, mostly because of affordability, this is also going to be my first mac ever, as I have been a pc user. So what should I look out for or what I need to know? Any tips, anything, thanks in advance guys :)

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 12:00 PM

http://www.macworld.com/article/1142103/buyused.html

3 replies

Mar 25, 2012 12:30 PM in response to Sidhant

Watch out for scams. They are incredibly widespread. Absolutely, positively, do not buy it sight unseen.

If the seller has the original install DVD then run Apple Hardware Test - insert the DVD, start the computer with the power button while holding the D key. Run the extended tests. They may take 30 minutes or more.

If the seller no longer has the original install DVD, get proof of ownership to determine it is not stolen. No proof, no sale. The seller should also unregister it from his Support Profile. No one else can.

A serious seller will have kept the original box, the sales receipt, all documentation, all included DVDs. A good MBP that meets all these requirements as well as those descibed in wjosten's link above is likely going to command a market price very close to a refurbished one from Apple. Refurbished ones from Apple command prices very close to new. The money you save may not be worth the inconvenience.

Used Macs that meet these requirements retain their value for a long time. The used Mac market is nothing like the used PC market. You can hardly give away a used PC. I have several I got for free.

Buying a used MacBook Pro, things to look out for?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.